Been removing bottom paint

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have spent the last 2 days under my boat wet sanding the bottom paint off. Everything I have read about how bad a job it is was understated. I am using a air sander and water hose. I tried a 4000psi pressure washer and it wouldn't touch it. I am probably 1/3 of the way finished and man it sucks. I'm comitted now. The boat is yellow and the bottom paint is yellow. They actuall coated over some barnacles. If anyone is considering this be sure you know what your in for, no fun at all.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Been removing bottom paint

Are you replacing the paint? I used a high power Pressure washer on my Stingray and ended up chipping some fiberglass off in the process!:facepalm:

I re-coated with Pettit White bottom paint and mine looked 10x better.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Be careful on the dust, I've been told the bottom paint is not good for you at all. Respirator is a good thing when dust flies! It seems like with wet sanding, maybe not much dust did fly, which is really good. I've done that job once and swore I'd never do it again.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I've done that job twice, both on gravel. I feel your pain. Hang in there and once you get this round done right the next will be easier...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A mask, a windy day and a 36grit sanding pad are good allies. Watch that you do not chew up the gelcoat.

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to restore the gelcoat. I sand with 100 until I see yellow then go back over it with 400. I'll do 1000 and buff next. There is no dust with wet sanding but man is it miserable laying on your back wet sanding the bottom of the boat. I'm laying on a creeper to keep me off the groung but I get completely covered. The boat is 23' and I will have to take it off the trailer to finish. I have a couple of little 1" long places I'll have to touch up with gelcoat. I can see white showing through. They both are on an inside corner of a strake. Cant' decide weather to try a Prevail sprayer or just use a small brush.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

This is why everyone I know just paints over it. In our area, those of us who keep boats in the water more that a couple weeks have to have antifouling paint, so most boats have painted bottoms.

Trailer and lift boats are either never painted in the first place, or if they are, we just leave the paint on there. Sure, some will flake or wear off, but why would anyone care what the bottom of the boat on a trailer or lift looks like? Doesn't matter to the fish and that's who sees it when you're using the boat.

But then again, I've heard of some people who wax their trailer!

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Sure is a terrible job. I've watched it done and that was enough for me. I have never bought a boat with bottom paint and never will. Once done it is forever work and expense. Dry stack -- the only way to go.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

And this is why I'm hiring someone to sand blast and re=paint my 36' foot.