Any input on 14-16' Livingston Cats for open ocean trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-level

Cadet
I'm looking at used Livingston Catamarans in the 15-16' range and came across a couple with an older 2 stroke 90hp motor (usually nissans, tohatsu etc). I was surprised that such a small boat had that sized engine and read that it is recommended that you use a 60-110 hp engine! My buddy has a 17' twin vee cat and only uses a 60 hp engine.

With the Livingston hull weight at about 1000lbs, does anyone know what kind of mpg the motor might get on the boat with that size motor?

I'm fairly nervous about getting any 2 stroke motor at all as I've only had 4 stroke Hondas and Yamahas. Any insight would be appreciated, thank you!

zurk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Any input on 14-16' Livingston Cats for open ocean trips?

cats arent good on oceans. get a deep v monohull with two engines.

bwraven

Cadet
I have a Livingston 155 Warrior with a 75hp Yamaha (15.5'). Take it out into the Straight of Juan de Fuca often. I have had it in 10+ foot seas. What a workout! It handled it like a champ. My buddy who was with me at the time, a Whaler fan, said the Livingston runs circles around a Whaler in bad water.

Last summer I was heading out to shoot orcas (with a camera), had 5 people in the boat, hit a rough patch with 5' seas, and everyone stayed dry. Just a matter of adjusting the speed to match the conditions.

A 90hp would be perfect. I generally cruise at 20-22 knots, and burn about 3 gallons per hour with my 75hp. WOT is 30 knots. With two big guys and gear.

jbcurt00

Staff member
bwraven Please review the helpful tips at the top of the forum page. After 90days w out activity, topics should be considered inactive and not posted to.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.