1971 Twin 6 Mark Twain engines finally out!

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice
Back in the fall I started this project and posted a few threads. After a long winter, I finally got around to pulling the engines to get to the stringers and transom. I'll update when I see what the damage is. Nothing like an old tractor to do the trick!! MK

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 Twin 6 Mark Twain engines finally out!

That's quite a brush guard you got on that tractor. Been doing some off-roading?:lol:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Is that a home brewed FEL? I like it.
How long is that boat? I'm surprised it has twin 6cyl motors.
Need lots of pics as you go along:)

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice

That's quite a brush guard you got on that tractor. Been doing some off-roading?:lol:

Ha! It's part of the old loader, it actually contains all the hydraulic fluid, and the pump is at the bottom driven by a coupling from the engine.

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice

Is that a home brewed FEL? I like it.
How long is that boat? I'm surprised it has twin 6cyl motors.
Need lots of pics as you go along:)

24ft Mark Twain. it's a factory loader from the early 60's. I think this was an experiment by MT as far as the twin 6's, they did some interesting cutting to an already finished hull. M

haulnazz15

Captain

I can honestly say I've never even seen a 24' Mark Twain of that vintage. I thought it was mid-70's before they got the 240 Cuddy Cabins. Nice 'Twain!

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice

I can honestly say I've never even seen a 24' Mark Twain of that vintage. I thought it was mid-70's before they got the 240 Cuddy Cabins. Nice 'Twain!

Yeah, it's a strange one, here are some more pics and the build plate. The engines and outdrive numbers match the build plate, so I know they did it. They had to crudely recut the stringers to get the engines to fit. MK

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, you know yours is earlier due to the address of Mark Twain at that time. Here's a pic of my data plate compared to yours, which shows West Frankfort, IL as the location instead of New London, MO. They moved back over to MO again in the late 70's I believe, lol.