Considering a 93 Marada 1950 MVB. Should I ask for test ride?

kevann

Recruit
Hi! I am new here. I joined a forum when I bought my first Goldwing. Best move ever! The members were a very valuable resource for information, and new friends. I have spent the past few hours reading and learning on this site. Hats off to Marada92 for his work. However, I do not have the time for such a rebuild, although his rebuild will leave him with "better than new" results. I will be looking at a boat this weekend. It is a 93 Marada 1950 MVB with a ford 5.0 for sale by owner. 1993 Marada 1950 MVB I/O boat I worked as a mechanic for 15 years. I built my current home. I pay close attention to details and know a few things, but have never done anything more than ride in or rent a few boats.
May I draw from your experience?
I have reviewed the buyers checklist, but should I be asking for a demo ride?
Will the owner be able to start the engine in his driveway.
If the engine is a Ford 5.0 what would I expect for the drive portion?
If a boat is not left in the water, and stored in a garage, would rot still be a concern?
What else should I be looking for or asking about?

Thank you in advance.

Kevin & Ann

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Considering a 93 Marada 1950 MVB. Should I ask for test ride?

Looks like it is an OMC. Have you done the research on OMC?

kevann

Recruit

No sir, I know nothing about them, other than in a previous post it may not be the most popular or liked?

MikDee

Banned

OMC Most parts are obsolete, and No Longer Available!

thumpar

Admiral

OMC went out of business long ago and some parts can be hard to find. I would stick with Volvo or Mercruiser in an I/O. I am partial to Mercruiser but that is because I know how to work them and there are more out there. Volvo makes a great drive though.

southkogs

Staff member

Fresh outta' the barn with your first boat ... steer clear of OMC for the reasons stated above. I have one, and even like it but I don't recommend it.

Starting a boat in the driveway (even with muffs) is not the same as having it out on the water. The engine and drive function differently under load. If you can get a ride before you buy, I would highly recommend it. If you can get a ride and pay a marine mechanic to go on that ride with you, it might be even better.

Having the boat stored in a garage is a plus in it's favor, but nothing that will rule out all rot. You still want to check it over pretty carefully.

Welcome aboard!

kevann

Recruit

OK I have heard enough concerning the Marada. Marada92 has a post in his thread with a link to Larson boats. I just happened to find one near by. It is an 01 186 bowrider. Does anyone have any feedback one this year model?
Would anyone know if they are wood free?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin