Stern/All Around light position

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
During the summer I like going out on my boat in the early hours of the morning to go fishing. But my all around light blinds me every time I look behind me. Then my night vision is shot for ten minutes. I have a telescoping model from attwood that plugs in to the socket.
I was wondering if I install a stern light and put some white LED strips on the gunwales will it be sufficient enough for visibility for other boaters? Their is rarely any boat traffic in my area. The only time I encounter traffic is when I anchor of the point for fireworks.
Also, the plug on my all around light keeps corroding and doesn't work half the time .
Sea nymph aluminum Jon boat

Re: Stern/All Around light position

I was wondering if I install a stern light and put some white LED strips on the gunwales will it be sufficient enough for visibility for other boaters?
Who knows. You'll need to ask other boaters that you see.

This is like asking the police officer if you can tape up your car's tail lights and just use a flash light. It's not legal. Others may see your alternate lighting. They may not. You're taking a risk. I guarantee that nobody will see it in rough water.

Keep in mind that the stern light is really there for your safety when others are approaching your boat. If you're fine taking the risk and don't feel a need to comply with the law, nobody on an internet forum will stop you.

However, you might consider training yourself to turn around slowly and shield your eyes. It seems like a much better solution than changing your safety lights.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

acdc, Larger cruisers use a 270* rear white marker light and a 90* white light facing forward mounted on top of the windshield, to meet regulations. When you turn around, the rear light does not shine into your eyes.

There is also no max height requirement for the rear light. Why not get a real tall rear light and have it above your field of vision?

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

acdc, Larger cruisers use a 270* rear white marker light and a 90* white light facing forward mounted on top of the windshield, to meet regulations. When you turn around, the rear light does not shine into your eyes.

There is also no max height requirement for the rear light. Why not get a real tall rear light and have it above your field of vision?

My light goes from 2 ft all the way up to 5 ft.
I think I'm gonna just keep the all around light and deal with it until I upgrade my boat to a larger one.

Thanks all.
Done.

UncleWillie

Captain

If you only have a single 360 degree stern light it must be visible for 360 degrees at all times.
If it is at eye level, YOU are blocking the light to the front when you stand up.
I have a light on a 5 foot pole mounted on the stern gunnel, that place it 7 feet above the cockpit and well above eye level and above the stowed bimini.

In the interim, try using an old pirate trick.
If you need to look towards the light, close one eye to save the night vision in it.
All those old pirates did not wear an eye patch because they had lost an eye.
It has been suggested that the patch saved their night vision for going below decks back when there was no lighting aboard ship.

airshot

Rear Admiral

If you can get you light high enough to be over your head then grab an aluminium ( or other material) disc to attatch just under the stern light to act as a reflector. This will keep the light reflected up and out of your line of site. You will get a small amount of glare but no direct light to temp blind you. A 12" dia of alum sheet metal will work nicely, very little weight, you may even want to experiment with diameter to allow some light to be reflected downward.

Airshot

haulnazz15

Captain

If you can get you light high enough to be over your head then grab an aluminium ( or other material) disc to attatch just under the stern light to act as a reflector. This will keep the light reflected up and out of your line of site. You will get a small amount of glare but no direct light to temp blind you. A 12" dia of alum sheet metal will work nicely, very little weight, you may even want to experiment with diameter to allow some light to be reflected downward.

Airshot

That was going to be my suggestion. Just make a 6"-12" diameter disc that sits below the light to keep the light from blinding you, just make sure it doesn't block the light from being seen by boaters.

agallant80

Commander

There is a really nice drawing on this link that shows what is required. I would see if you can modify your stern light to be higher if its an issue.

http://www.***************/WestAdvisor/Navigation-Light-Rules

OK well since I boats does not want you getting information from other sites but does not offer this info themselves just Google "stern light rules" and click on the first link from that other boating place.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

navigation_lights_power_driven.jpg

graphic-boat-light-jf.jpg

GA_navlights_cruiser.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I put a piece of tape over the front of the light for running. Not legal but still safe since any approaching boat sees my bow lights.

I have also put a piece of paper inside the lense to soften but not block the front of the light. You can also hang a white wax paper cup on it (if it won't blow away).

Sometimes there is a conflict between being safe and being legal, and in some circumstances it is unsafe to compromise your night vision. every boating situation is different so no one can say that in every case it is unsafe to run without a white light showing 360*. And in some circumstances it's not safe to only have the legal white light (the sailboat mast light in a city harbor is worthless).

There is a natural aversion (and some laws against) to adding lights because they confuse the other drivers as to what they mean. But I can't see any reason not to light up the hull below the gunwale.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a Celebrity 230 that had the all around white light factory mounted on the windshield directly over the steering wheel and arched back overhead. If you stood up to see you had to choose to be on the left or right of the masthead and then the light was right next to your cheek. Stupidest %(#*)*# place I've ever seen one.

That said, I always ran it from dusk onward because.... function over form.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

I had a Celebrity 230 that had the all around white light factory mounted on the windshield directly over the steering wheel and arched back overhead. If you stood up to see you had to choose to be on the left or right of the masthead and then the light was right next to your cheek. Stupidest %(#*)*# place I've ever seen one.

That said, I always ran it from dusk onward because.... function over form.

My boat has the same dam thing... 1987 Calais 210cc cuddy made by celebrity. My came with a stern light as well so I order a mast head light and it works better. Still in an awkward place.
Plus I end up buying a new tarp every year cause it creates a hole.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My boat has the same dam thing... 1987 Calais 210cc cuddy made by celebrity. My came with a stern light as well so I order a mast head light and it works better. Still in an awkward place.
Plus I end up buying a new tarp every year cause it creates a hole.

I can definitely see how that socket would wear through a tarp quick. My canvas had a pocket sewn into it for that to recess into. Still got hung up on it every time you pulled the cover off. I loved the boat but that stupid light position made me think WTF every time I used it, lol.