i need advice on installing second bilge pump

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice
i purchased a used boat recently, i want to install a second automatic bilge pump. i am afraid of screwing the pump into the hull and creating water intrusion. i noticed the current bilge pump has some kind of lift to it and was not screwed directly into the hull. someone created a little lift with some liquid that hardens and they screwed the pump basket into that. i would like to know what this material or liquid is as i want to to the same to install my second bilgle pump. any help apreciated thanks

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: i need advice on installing second bilge pump

Can't tell what the material is without seeing it, however there are many liquid epoxy type materials that you could use to build a mount to attatch to you glass hull. I use a piece of aluminium attatched to some part of the boat nearby that will not cause water intrusion then attatch the bilge pump to the alum bracket. I am sure many marine stores will carry a product that you can use by asking them for it.
If I may make another suggestion, that would be to be sure the second bilge pump is connected to a second battery as well, two pumps on one battery could defeat your purpose of having a backup.

Airshot

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice

the second bilgle pump is a rule 1500. i have 3 deep cycle running in parallel plenty of power. my question is what brand name or type of epoxy could i use to make a mount to screw in basket of bilge pump? i assume the expoxy would be poured onto the floor of the bilge under the motor to form a little mount? once epoxy dry screw in basket to mount? is that right? let me know thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

why not glue down an piece of starboard and then mount to that? Or a piece of an old cutting board. The mounting doesn't have to be strong; it just keeps the pump in place and upright.

Also mount your second higher than the first so they won't both come on at once for minor bailing ( you can do this by mounting the float switch higher)

Speaking of which--you didn't mention this--you need a float switch. Never rely on your sixth sense to know when to turn on the pump. I recommend against the pump with the built-in switch; keep two pieces of equipment that are likely to fail seperate.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

OR you could simply GLUE it in place w a little 3M 5200

HopCar

Cadet

I'm with smokeonthewater, just glue it down with 5200. You don't need to use much, two or three dabs on the bottom of the base.
Clean the spot where you'll stick it down first.

When the pump needs to be replaced, just snap the old pump out of the base and snap the new one in. If you ever have to replace the base, just break it up and cut off the remaining 5200 with a razor blade.

Homecookin mentioned the need for a separate float switch. The Rule 1500 model 02 comes with a little white plastic thinghy that most people toss out. Don't toss it. Use it to clip the float switch to the base of the pump. Don't glue the switch down, you'll need to change that at some point.