1997 Bayliner Capri 18' boat cover

DBrimer

Cadet
Hey all,

I'm in need of a new boat cover. Badly. I had been using Classic Accessories cover but sadly it only made it through one season before giving way. I think the sunlight must make the material get brittle. Who knows...anyway, its gone. My Bayliner has a bow cover from the factory but nothing from the windshield on back to the stern. SO, I'm at the crossroads of what the next best step is. I have a quote for a custom canvas cover to be made for $825, which is a huge sticker shock to me, but I'm told that it'll last upwards of 10 years and that makes the reasoning a little bit better. On the other hand, who knows where my boat will be in 10 years (Lord willing, still here!).

I'm just hoping I can get some seasoned owners' (or new owners too) opinions on the matter. Is there a better option than the covers sold on Amazon that won't kill my budget like a canvas shop? Does that canvas shop estimate sound high?

Thanks for any and all help guys!

Dustin

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Bayliner Capri 18' boat cover

104_7525.jpg104_7527.jpg104_7526.jpg

I use large tarps sold at harbor Freight and secure them with bungy cords. They last only one to two seasons but at less than 20 bucks, it doesn't matter. I built a ridge pole running own the center of the boat to help support it against snow loads.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Don't cheap out on your cover, it protects your boat which is designed to hold water on the outside. Unfortunately it will rot your boat if allowed to sit on the inside. Custom snap covers are my favorite but you're right, they aren't cheap. Where do you store your boat? inside outside, will you trailer it? covered/uncovered? lots of different types and applications. In most cases, you get exactly what ya pay for.

And if/when you decide to sell, the cover will make a huge difference IMO too.

Last edited:

DBrimer

Cadet

Thanks Frank. The blue tarps are awfully tempting at that kind of price. I may give that a try at first, given how little I'll be out if it doesn't pan out.

Greenbush - you, of course, also have very good points. The boat sits outside in my driveway, uncovered (other than whatever cover I have on the boat itself). I trailer it uncovered just because the ramp is a 5 minute drive through town. To be a '97, the interior is immaculate, so I want to take good care of it to get that much more use out of it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Pat the little extra for the silver tarps. The blue ones don't hold up at all. The ones you see in my photos are extras and were simply quickly available. They have already ripped. Notice that on the big cuddy boat I used a new silver tarp.

oldjeep

Admiral

There are not many off the shelf non snap covers (any) that fit older bayliners correctly. The problem is the swim platform arms, which require that you buy a size up cover so that you can cover the platform on the right side and then just try to bunch up the stuff on the left side.

DBrimer

Cadet

Right oldjeep, the combination of the swim platforms and the well for the outboard motor make it a real issue in pulling the rear tight enough for water to run off. So, the general consensus on finding so far is it might be best off to go with near dirt cheap tarps or spring for what might be the only good use of a hefty sum and spring for the custom canvas. Would that be a fair assessment?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Be glad you don't have to have one made for a pontoon. You would pass out.

slip 1.jpg

amarcil77

Seaman Apprentice

I had a tarp that was bought at u - haul. It's bright orange which is an eye sore but it's thick. I only had 1 eyelet rip out and it was my stupidity. I used ratchet straps to tie mine down and pulled it to tight.

DBrimer

Cadet

lol, sorry Hawker I really did laugh a little bit at your post...but I'm sure the expense was well worth it. Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'll be trying the tarp/strap method first (since I won't be out much if it doesn't work out) and move up from there.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Get a sewing machine, some good Sunbrella or treated 16oz canvas or Weathemax material, some plastic sheeting for templates, go to local upholsterer and get snap kit...In a few hours you could have "custom" boat cover for less than $100-150!

I've use tarps and my only issues with them is the eyesore/cheapskate factor (which I'm okay with) and the lack of breath-ability?

I made all mine with Weathermax80 (8oz solution-dyed polyester). bruceb58 made his own pontoon cover out of Sunbrella (6.5oz acrylic material) not too tough, just takes patience and a little ingenuity!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If your interior is mint, ya better protect your investment, mold is nasty, and water trapped inside is really bad for your entire boat interior. The snap type shown above can accommodate vents if you want them, and that would be my first choice if my interior was really nice. I'm in the same boat BTW, my cheapo tore all to heck last winter, so I need one too. I'll plan on $4-600 for a custom one with snaps, and only because I know the builder, otherwise I think it would be more.