fuel/water filter line connection thread size

Boattoo

Cadet
I will be going to the boat and want to pick up two 90 degree barb connectors for my spin on fuel filter on the boat as I am re-routing the filter. It currently has straight barbed connectors and using them puts a slight kink in the fuel line. I need to know the threaded size for the connector. I think the threaded size is the same for the ones I have looked at Walmart even though the one on my boat is a different brand. Does 3/8 sound right? It is a base (don't know the brand) that takes a volvo part number spin on filter. Thanks for any ideas as I would like to get them advance without having to make a second trip to the store.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel/water filter line connection thread size

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It's no doubt either 1/4" pipe, or 3/8" pipe,...

I'm guessin' the odds are 60%, 1/4", 'n 40%, 3/8",....

1/4" pipe fittin's are 'bout 3/8" to the eye, 'n 3/8" fittin's 'bout 1/2" Od,...

Ya could bring 2 of each, or 2 1/4" fittin's, 'n a couple 1/4" to 3/8" bushin's,...

The barb end is 3/8" on Most I/O boats,...
Some outboards also run 5/16" or 1/4",...

Boattoo

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It's no doubt either 1/4" pipe, or 3/8" pipe,...

I'm guessin' the odds are 60%, 1/4", 'n 40%, 3/8",....

1/4" pipe fittin's are 'bout 3/8" to the eye, 'n 3/8" fittin's 'bout 1/2" Od,...

Ya could bring 2 of each, or 2 1/4" fittin's, 'n a couple 1/4" to 3/8" bushin's,...

The barb end is 3/8" on Most I/O boats,...
Some outboards also run 5/16" or 1/4",...

Thanks. I'll get a couple of each just in case.

Fed

Commander

Getting the 90 degree fittings to point in the right direction can sometimes be a problem a couple of my mates have used Stag Jointing Compound with success but it's not something I'd rely on in that application.
You might be able to find a pre-formed fuel line from an outboard to overcome the kinking and then use a straight joiner.