If a wakeboard has been removed from a boat, can another be attached?

Kitala

Recruit
We are looking at a 1998 Larson 226 LXI - price seems to be good - $8300.00. Minor cosmetic issues but nothing that we can't redo. We have two questions about the boat:

1. Owner before this one had a "custom" wakeboard tower that was apparently removed. Will this effect our ability to put in another Wakeboard tower?

2. Another question is - this owner said that previous owner rebuilt the engine when it had 550 hours on it and rebuilt engine has 150 hours on it. Would this still be something that we should consider or would a rebuilt motor be a deal breaker?

Sorry if the questions are dumb but all we have had is a fishing boat - this will be our first "fun" boat.

Thanks for any/all help!

Kitty

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: If a wakeboard has been removed from a boat, can another be attached?

If they don't have receips for work performed then it wasn't done.Now if they offer to pull the drive for you to inspect that may be a slightly different story.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with bspeth, unless there is documentation, I would question it. Also, the drive has nothing to do with the engine being rebuilt as they are two totally different components each with their own needed inspection. And I would most certainly have a marine surveyor inspect the boat before money is transferred.

As for the rebuild, I wouldn't walk away from the boat just because it was rebuilt, however I would ask WHY it was rebuilt. Also ask WHAT exactly was rebuilt - the upper? Lower? Both? What was replaced? Was it a true rebuild or is that what someone called replacing the lower core because of freeze damage?
Post up the type of engine and lower unit and you will find many people willing to give you great information.

As for the tower - you are good to install another. You will want to ensure that it was removed properly and without damage and whether the old mounting holes on each side were sealed and repaired. Installing a tower is generally nothing more than four holes on each side of side of the boat with reinforcing plates often installed inside.

Kitala

Recruit

Here is a link to the boat:

1998 Larson 226 LXI

The guy who owns it said previous owner had to have engine rebuilt because he didn't drain the water out.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No difference in value to me if the boat has 650 hours or 150 on a rebuild. You can always put on another tower without much issue. There are several aftermarket tower manufacturers with 'universal' kits that might use the holes from the old tower. If not there are sure to be some that will use two of the holes.
Definitely take it for a test drive before you buy it if you think the price is what you want to pay.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Nice looking boat and priced just about right....... I would offer him a grand less and negotiate on the price......you can't get it cheaper unless you ask ;)

Read this post too...... http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...help-buying-boat-buyers-checklist-635170.html

I would check out the drive and look it over hard. Good Luck.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is a link to the boat:

1998 Larson 226 LXI

The guy who owns it said previous owner had to have engine rebuilt because he didn't drain the water out.

Bingo. Not a true rebuild but also nothing to worry about. As said, have it inspected and make an offer if you like it!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

It's worth a closer look, but I would be checking that power plant and outdrive, compression check at a minimum. A good long sea test, and I would be inspecting the floor/transom really well. Any time there are parts removed (ski tower) there is a chance it wasn't sealed up, and besides, it's still 15 plus years old, who knows how it was stored. Rot has no boundaries. If it was rebuilt, I would only believe it if he has receipts, other wise is was just repaired. Big difference IMO. It's a nice looking boat too, appears to be cared for and isn't sun burned from the Texas sun. This is all good IMO too.