Chene Anchor

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A recent thread about a small tinny with a too large anchor and chain got me thinking. My slight arthritis has made hauling all that chain an issue as well.

I was reading about the Chene Anchors, that reportedly don't require chain. Anybody with experience in that regard?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Chene Anchor

for any advice to work, we'd want to know the boat, depth, bottom and conditions (such as lunch hook or storm mooring)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

for any advice to work, we'd want to know the boat, depth, bottom and conditions (such as lunch hook or storm mooring)

19' fiberglass I/O runabout, 15'-30', mud and sometimes weeds and mud, lunch hook in 2 1/2 mph current.

A 10# danforth with a 6' chain works well.

Back to the original question - anybody used a Chene without a chain?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

iboats sells them Chene Anchor

Quote from iboats store The Chene Anchor uses a unique design to allow the anchor to easily release from the toughest of conditions.Just release your rope or chain to allow the ring to slide to the base of the anchor, pull up and the Chene anchor releases easily. Lifting from the base allows the anchor to slide free from underneath debris quickly and clean.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral

Picked one up last year, only used it a few times, so far so good. I have a heavy anchor that I use when there is little to no wind and just drop it over the side or use it as a stern anchor when I don't want the stern to swing. I bought the chene anchor to use in wind, my reaserch showed it works better in wind and not so good when there is no wind to set the flukes. I did add a chain, a short one as it sets faster with it. Only drawback so far is that it can be hard to get it to bite in because it is so light in weight. That is the reason for adding the short chain, to get it to bite faster. It is easier to retrieve than my Danforth, and once it bites in, it does hold. I have a 22' aluminium cuddy, and have the larger chene for boats to 30 ft.

Airshot

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Picked one up last year, only used it a few times, so far so good. I have a heavy anchor that I use when there is little to no wind and just drop it over the side or use it as a stern anchor when I don't want the stern to swing. I bought the chene anchor to use in wind, my reaserch showed it works better in wind and not so good when there is no wind to set the flukes. I did add a chain, a short one as it sets faster with it. Only drawback so far is that it can be hard to get it to bite in because it is so light in weight. That is the reason for adding the short chain, to get it to bite faster. It is easier to retrieve than my Danforth, and once it bites in, it does hold. I have a 22' aluminium cuddy, and have the larger chene for boats to 30 ft.

Airshot

Sounds good so far. Wind is not usually a problem, but I'm usually in a current.

How long is the chain?

saumon

Lieutenant

Didn't even know they were called Chene anchors until I Googled it. Were commonly named "slip ring anchor" here, and I used one for years in all kind of current (slow to heavy), in the St. Lawrence seaway. In fast current, that maybe the only anchor you'll be able to retrieve without cutting the rope, simply freeing it by running upstream. But they DO require a chain to properly set in.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Didn't even know they were called Chene anchors until I Googled it. Were commonly named "slip ring anchor" here, and I used one for years in all kind of current (slow to heavy), in the St. Lawrence seaway. In fast current, that maybe the only anchor you'll be able to retrieve without cutting the rope, simply freeing it by running upstream. But they DO require a chain to properly set in.

A slip ring anchor needs a chain and its called a slip ring anchor (generic term). A Chene does not need a chain and its called a Chene (its a tradename). Google it again and examine the photos - they are not the same thing.

As I said in post #1 just looking for experienced users....thanks Airshot.

Last edited:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I've used a slip ring anchor to hold my 18' aluminum boat, both with 4' or chain and with rope only. Both have worked well for a lunch break or swim break. However, they don't have the bend in the main shaft like the Chene anchors on iboats doe so I'm not sure if they are the same.

saumon

Lieutenant

A slip ring anchor needs a chain and its called a slip ring anchor (generic term). A Chene does not need a chain and its called a Chene (its a tradename). Google it again and examine the photos - they are not the same thing.

Sorry, my mistake! The difference seems to be the shape of the slip shank, but they didn't get stellar reviews. Were easy to retrieve but seems to have some problems hooking the bottom.

http://reviews.************/8815/018123/j-e-chene-company-chene-anchor-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=rating

UncleWillie

Captain

If you are looking to save weight FORTRESS Anchors are well made, tempered Aluminum versions of the Danforth.
The setting angle is adjustable for use on different bottoms.
A 7lb Fortress Anchor only weighs 4lbs and is rated for up to 27 ft boats.
Their Guardian Series have the same specs without the fancy finish of the Fortress line. Less expensive too!
Both lines can be disassemble into a storage bag if space is at a premium.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you are looking to save weight FORTRESS Anchors are well made, tempered Aluminum versions of the Danforth.
The setting angle is adjustable for use on different bottoms.
A 7lb Fortress Anchor only weighs 4lbs and is rated for up to 27 ft boats.
Their Guardian Series have the same specs without the fancy finish of the Fortress line. Less expensive too!
Both lines can be disassemble into a storage bag if space is at a premium.

Naturally weight is a consideration, but the Chene advertisement that said no chain needed was the selling point in my mind. Fortress DID say it needs a chain.

airshot

Rear Admiral

The chene anchor are not supposed to require a chain, says do not use right in the instructions. I followed those instructions and they work, but they can be difficult to get them to bite in. I experimented and tried a chain and found that it improved the bite in ability. Now I only added a short chain and may experiment with a longer one next summer. It still can be difficult to get it to bite in at times, the rougher it is or a strong current will set them faster. For casual anchoring I would not recommend them, I have a heavy old navy style for casual anchoring, no to very little wind or to just keep the stern from swinging. Under casual conditions the heavy one is easy to retrieve but in heavy wind it does not bite as well and can be difficult to retrieve if it does bite in. The chene is light weight, easy to retrieve, but because it is so light it can be stubborn and just glide along the bottom without digging in. It is not an anchor to just throw out there as it will never bite. Works best to lower it carefully so the chain does not get tangled in the flukes then let out line and suddenly let the boat pull it tight and it will set. They take some experimenting to get them to work as advertised that is probably why many do not get good reviews, no patience..

Airshot

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

It is not an anchor to just throw out there as it will never bite. Works best to lower it carefully so the chain does not get tangled in the flukes then let out line and suddenly let the boat pull it tight and it will set. They take some experimenting to get them to work as advertised that is probably why many do not get good reviews, no patience..

Airshot

Well, duhhhh......LOL.

It never ceases to amaze me how many seasoned boaters don't have a clue about anchoring. (regardless of what type anchor they have)

The husband is at the helm while the wife is on the bow with the line, chain and anchor all tangled up and she literally THROWS it overboard. Then they are all surprised when they drift into another boat downstream.

I think the proper term has always been "Drop Anchor".

Anyhoot.....for 35 bucks how can you go wrong.....even if it doesn't work. I ordered one from IBoats and we'll giveher a try.

I'll repost on this thread in a few months with an honest review. Right now the ice is still several feet thick.

Thanks for your replies...

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have used a chene anchor for years on the Ohio River. I use a length of chain only for chafing reasons and have not had a problem with the anchor biting or holding. I anchor over mud, sand, rocks and gravel and there is always current. They are light, easy to retrieve and easy to store. As another plus, they don't cost a fortune. I've lost one when it hooked on a cable and didn't kiss big bucks goodbye when i cut the rope. I run a 19' center console by the way. I like mine very much.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
OK...as I promised, back again with a real world field test report....

Followed the directions (what a concept) and used NO chain. Tried her in a current with a hard bottom and another spot with a soft mud bottom.

First off, setting the anchor (or dropping it) seemed easier than normal....seemed like it dropped easy and went straight down....hit the bottom in an instant. The "feel" was good - you could almost sense that it was right and not fouled.

Holly crap, that thing is light! took a normal amount of pull to get it unhooked, but then it came up so easy it didn't even feel like there was anything there.

I had a short piece of chain ready just in case, but I won't use it now. The only difference was that in the 25' deep test spots I probably had to put out an extra 20' of line vs. "normal" (a danforth with 6' of chain), but that is no issue at all.

All in all an excellent purchase - got it right here!