Swim Platform Foam - Good type? Price effective

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I used to have a Supra wake boat, our swim platform had a foam coat to it(loved it). Our new boat doesn't have it on it, I prefer it and was looking around to buy the materials and put on. Luckily on our last boat I never had to replace.....well it seems this stuff isn't all the cheap to buy, but then again not much for a boat is cheap. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on which they liked better or didn't like and price? Thanks in advance!

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Swim Platform Foam - Good type? Price effective

SeaDek is a common add-on for many boats. You can buy sheet material from them and cut it to form. A sheet probably runs between $50-150 depending on how big you need it to be.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

As to brand, I think it is all a matter of personal preference. All of the major players (SeaDek, Hydro-Turf, Soft Deck and probably some more that hopefully will come to light here) should be willing to send you samples for free or at a nominal cost. I personally went with Hydro-Turf because I liked it as well as any/better than some and they had a discontinued color that I got a very good price on. Even though it will be more expensive, the next time I get some I will have it machine cut by the vendor. I did my whole boat - 11 odd-size pieces - so it was really a PITA and doesn't look near as good as a machine cut. (I ran a bead of caulk around it to hide my work and it came out OK, but not great.) Don't be fooled into thinking you can cut is as well as them. Depending on your boat some of the vendors may already have a pattern on file.

Last edited:

superbenk

Commander

I'm leaning really heavily toward SeaDek for our boat. They'll send you every sample they have for a flat rate of $4 to cover shipping. The samples are roughly 3" squares. They also have tons of pre-cut custom patterns that you can simply buy as a kit and stick on your boat. The benefit being machine cut with routed edges that look nice.

thumpar

Admiral

I used Hydro Turf on my jetski and love the product. They have a ton of colors and textures to choose from. They will send a few samples to look at.