Fuel ievel sender issue

reddawgs

Recruit
Bought a used boat last fall and the fuel gauge was not working. Took the sending unit out yesterday. The arm is stiff and will not follow the fuel level down. It works fine throughout it's range(on the gauge) but stays at full. The float raises it but it won't fall with the level. Has anyone tried a Wema unit? If they work well I want to try a more reliable unit. They recommend 1" clearance under the sensor but My tank is only 4" deep and their shortest unit is 4" deep. What do you think?
Thanks for any input, John

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel ievel sender issue

Bought a used boat last fall and the fuel gauge was not working. Took the sending unit out yesterday. The arm is stiff and will not follow the fuel level down. It works fine throughout it's range(on the gauge) but stays at full. The float raises it but it won't fall with the level. Has anyone tried a Wema unit? If they work well I want to try a more reliable unit. They recommend 1" clearance under the sensor but My tank is only 4" deep and their shortest unit is 4" deep. What do you think?
Thanks for any input, John

Before you spend any money, have you figured out what is keeping your existing arm from not working properly. Maybe fixing that issue will save you some funds and work perfectly for your tank too. I would go that route unless it is deemed useless... But that is just my opinion...

reddawgs

Recruit

Before you spend any money, have you figured out what is keeping your existing arm from not working properly.[ Maybe fixing that issue will save you some funds and work perfectly for your tank too.] I would go that route unless it is deemed useless... But that is just my opinion...

Thanks, I actually put a small lead sinker by the float and it is working. I'm just looking for my next option.
It may be a little shaky but it may loosten up? Maybe? John

gm280

Supreme Mariner

That's odd seeing how most float type senders usually are the other way around. They won't lift up because the float section gets soaked with contaminates and/or fuel. But yours is/was failing the opposite way... Learn something new every day!