Is this washdown station any good?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this washdown station any good?

Depends on your pumps capability. I have a 4.3 gpm WD pump. The pressure drop thru a 3/8" hose like you have tagged was unacceptable.

I use a 25' length of 5/8" RV water hose (white). Rolled up, it fits in the splash well like it was made for it

Last edited:

BrokeLoser

Seaman

Depends on your pumps capability. I have a 4.3 gpm WD pump. The pressure drop thru a 3/8" hose like you have tagged was unacceptable.

I use a 25' length of 5/8" RV water hose (white). Rolled up, it fits in the splash well like it was made for it

Are you saying the volume of water was poor or the pressure was poor with the 3/8" hose?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

At 4 gpm the 3/8" hose will create a 30 psi pressure drop compared to 5 psi for 5/8". The 5/8" hose will provide almost twice the flow

BrokeLoser

Seaman

At 4 gpm the 3/8" hose will create a 30 psi pressure drop compared to 5 psi for 5/8". The 5/8" hose will provide almost twice the flow

Yeah but can a 6gpm pump sufficiently keep up with 5/8 hose? For me, I think pressure is more important than volume.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

depending on the boat of course, raw water wash downs don't generate but so much pressure. And with space at a premium, better to stuff a hose in somewhere than have it out all the time

BrokeLoser

Seaman

depending on the boat of course, raw water wash downs don't generate but so much pressure. And with space at a premium, better to stuff a hose in somewhere than have it out all the time

I agree with you on the space issue and keeping things hidden until in use but
the problem is, the previous owner of my boat cut a 12"L x 5"H hole in the lower gunwale on the starboard side so I'm looking more for something to cover the hole. I cut a piece of starboard to fit and screwed it over it but it looks like crap. Although expensive, this washdown station would cover the hole and be useful.

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yeah but can a 6gpm pump sufficiently keep up with 5/8 hose? For me, I think pressure is more important than volume.
A 6 gpm pump has no problem at all keeping up with a 5/8" hose.

I agree, pressure is more important. That's why I picked the 5/8" hose. It has a much lower pressure drop, 40 PSI (5/8") vs. 15 PSI (3/8") at twice the flow.

So.....cosmetics over function. Your call;)

Last edited: