Question on small cruisers with cabin

twix

Recruit
I am itching to get back into boating. Had one 8 years ago, and then small children came around and had to sell, so now that they are 6 and 8, it is time to get back to fun on the water.

Evaluating few options.

My first indications is to get a 19-21 ft ski boat that can be used around the lakes in Northeast (lake george, Placid, Sunape, winnipesaukee, finger lakes) but I am also thinking of a getting a boat in the 22-24 ft that has a cabin for stay the night over. What is the smallest size boat that can sleep 4 (2 adults 2 children) but still be towable? From reading on this forum, some suggestions are:

1. Wellcraft 232 coastal
2. Larson 220
3. Campion Allante 705i Sport Cabin
4. Crownline CCR 230
5. Monterey 236 Montura

How manageable is to tow these with a 5.7V Toyota Sequoia?
How challenging it will be to get them in and out of the water?
Can 4 of us fit in the sleeping arrangements that provide?
Would boats of this size be fine in the sound to go across Falmouth to the Vineyard or to Block Island?

Thank you for your input.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question on small cruisers with cabin

I have a 22' Sea Ray Weekender and tow it with my F150. It's about 5500lbs without the trailer (add another 1100lbs). 22' could be a little tight sleeping 4. I could sleep 3 - 2 in the cabin and 1 on the aft bench.

What is the tow rating on the Sequoia?
I trailer about 1200mi to Lake Superior every year and do a "Land and Launch" at the marina. It's not bad at all - just take your time and do it correctly.
Not sure about the other boats, but if I were to sleep four, I'd upgrade to a Sea Ray 240DA. ( I know it's not on your list)
If they have a deep V like mine, you should be fine. It's deep enough for offshore and will get you out of some harry situations. Listen to NOAA before you head out ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

to sleep 4 your looking at a pocket cruiser vs a cuddy unless you add camper canvas and two sleep on deck.

most pocket cruisers have 2 berths.

the searay 240 that OllieC mentioned is a pocket cruiser, where his weekender 215 is a cuddy.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

How manageable is to tow these with a 5.7V Toyota Sequoia? that should tow what your looking for
How challenging it will be to get them in and out of the water? should be no problem assuming you stay on hard ramps

cuddy's with deep V's will handle those waters fine,, your not going to sleep 4 in it tho.. get size u want and have fun with it... my experience in boating larger bodies of water,, ie- finger lakes NYS and larger. Bigger IS better.......

twix

Recruit

What is the tow rating on the Sequoia?

Towing capacity is about 6700 so with the trailer it is getting close to the max. I know that it would be nice if there is a 25% margin between towing capacity and what I am towing.

I will look into the Sea Ray 240DA

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I personally would get a tent and stay on an island or at a camp ground vs on the boat overnight with the children.

Then again, I grew up camping with dad, and we pretty much trailered the boat to the campsite and launched there. we would tie up to shore unless it was spring, then we would retrieve the boat at night due to fluctuations in water level

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I would look at some other besides the 240DA. We did.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

with children that age, who aren't going to get any smaller (and who will want to include friends) I think your family can have a lot more fun in an open boat. Then if you go on an overnight just stay on shore at a motel (which costs less than the "free" room in the boat).

Since you want the versatility to take it offshore, get a seaworthy hull design that can be used on the coast or on lakes.

What is "trailerable" is subjective and while there are some lake boaters who trailer cruisers for day use, it's not common on the coast where there are lots of options for slips, and there is a long list of people who tried and gave up on haulnig the big pigs around.

Convenience is the key to using a boat often and with your children's ages, you want to pay for convenience, not extra work. Unless your family already likes sharing a backpack tent, I'd focus on getting out on the water rather than overnighting to start. Or join a boat club that gives you access to different hulls.

twix

Recruit

with children that age, who aren't going to get any smaller (and who will want to include friends) I think your family can have a lot more fun in an open boat. Then if you go on an overnight just stay on shore at a motel (which costs less than the "free" room in the boat).

Since you want the versatility to take it offshore, get a seaworthy hull design that can be used on the coast or on lakes.

I appreciate the comments fellas. I am starting to think that open bow is the way to go, and then maybe in few years upgrade to a cruiser if we find a favorite lake and then store the boat there.

On the point of a seaworthy hull for an open bow, any suggestions for a type of hull/boat year and size wise that would not get battered on lake George or go off shore?.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

A good choice might be what's called a 'dual console' model. Similar in arrangement to a bow rider, but usually built on a manufacturer's off-shore type hull, same as their center console and walk-around cuddy models. Grady White, Seaswirl, Pro-Line and many others make them. It'll be less plush than a BR, with snap-in cushions rather then a full upholstered cockpit. A 20'er should be fairly comfortable for the 4 of you and a couple of young friends. Here's an example:

Grady-White Boats : Freedom 225 - 22' Dual Console

stratcat88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

camp with your kids on your boat. i got a 25 ft chriscraft 254 and we have a blast overniting in biscayne bay and in the morn. cook some food and head off shore. theirs nothin like it. great memories. tim