OMC Aquanuat, Scubuoy and AirBuoy By Evinrude Johnson General Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

USCGSAR

Recruit
I've been in love with the ocean since I could walk. I grew up watching spy movies and of course SEA HUNT! Its no surprise I became a certified SCUBA Diver. So as I find myself setting sail for new adventures, I find myself tinkering on the old things I grew up unable to afford. This brings us to the topic at hand:

I am trying offer as much information as I can regarding these old OMC dive units. The Evinrude Aquanaut and the Johnson Air Buoy or Scubuoy (as they attempted to call it).

First off, I restore them. I love to collect them, so if anyone has one they want to learn about, PM me.

Secondly, I'd like to help others restore them. They are fun, and stopped being made for reasons that had nothing to do with the item itself.

OMC stopped making a huge amount of boats in 1970 due to catastrophic losses in the lines. Sadly OMC boat-building enterprise lines included the Dive Systems branch and were sold off to Chris-Craft whom refused to get involved with this machine due to one death attributed to diver negligence.

Thirdly, I'd like to build a sub-community of those whom already have and use these items. I know several of us exist on this forum because I'd been stalking you folks for years :)

So who's with me, and how can I help those whom want to do something with this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I stripped out solicitation info. Also, this is pushing rule #6.

8. You may not solicit any personal transaction (buy, sell, rent, free, donate, etc.) in the forum.

6. You may not post in the forum to promote any personal enterprise, advertise a business or product, or to solicit responses for contests, polls, or similar. This includes directing members to social networking sites.
The First post of a thread MAY NOT be used to advertise or promote a product, company, internet site, sale, individual, or service.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines/forum-rules-397820.html

Last edited by a moderator:

USCGSAR

Recruit
Re: OMC Aquanuat, Scubuoy and AirBuoy By Evinrude Johnson General Topic

1966-evinrude-aquanaut_180895374206.jpgmVXD8vdilut-IfJV9vjt6cQ.jpg

The picture on the right is of three of these I actually own. I am restoring them along with several others to complete, new, totally pristine condition. I will use them to educate and advance the understanding of water safety and exploration for the youth in our area. I take them to camp grounds and events to show folks why the water is important and develop a more intelligent outlook on safety and environmental impact.

Last edited:

USCGSAR

Recruit

maxresdefault.jpg

Here are some examples of what these items look like. The Evinrude is gray on top, while the Johnson is creme white.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 4

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Um, what are those things? Air compressors?

USCGSAR

Recruit

Thank you NYBo, from one Coastie to another.

To answer your question, sort of yes. They are dive Buoys. Its a surface air system that supplies air to a diver underwater. It is made up of an engine, and an air compressor, both very specialized. They are basically Dive Hookahs. You can use them for lobster fishing, cleaning your boat, clam hunting, spear fishing, removing a rope from your propeller, or just plum exploring the water below. I use them to raise sunken boats myself, as well as for educational purposes. They are handy for everything you and a friend can do in 60' or under. or you could do in 90' I used one to tend and repair a couple mooring lines before and after hurricanes. They are a lot lighter than dive equipment, but don't travel on a plane as well. Great for what they are though, down right awesome on a hot summer day.

southkogs

Staff member

Cool Stuff USCGSAR.

Welcome aboard - and thanks for serving.

82rude

Rear Admiral

very cool units.fellow up here has one and was shocked when I asked him how he liked it.said I was the only guy in years that knew what they were.imagine the lures I could retrieve from fishing with one of those!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
does anyone have a manual?

This topic falls under the old topic rule - No activity for 90 or more days and only the OP should re-open. You could try PMing the OP, but he hasn't visited since April.

grdstudios

Recruit
I just bought one and planned on making it useable. I had one in the 70's and it was great. It was on a dock during a hurricane was submerged and destroyed in the 70's. I plan on looking at it in the next few months.

Attachments

• photo324752.jpg
    photo324752.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.