16' Lund Steering Cable Replacement

atimm693

Seaman
The time has come to sell our 16' Lund, so we are getting it back into shape. Unfortunately the steering cable is apparently NLA and I am confused about a replacement.

A couple years ago the steering cable seized up and broke when we tried to free it. We had already booked the trip that weekend so we brazed the cable back together so we could at least use the boat. It worked just fine but the turning radius on one side was greatly reduced because of the brazed blob on the cable. We don't want to sell it with the bad cable so it needs to be replaced.

The current cable is original to the boat I'm sure (late 70's) and is labeled as 12.5ft Detmar, and it's a flat rack and pinion. From the research I've done Detmar doesn't make cables anymore, and ebay doesn't have any used ones. I have read to just replace the whole cable and helm, but that raises a couple questions that I haven't found answers to.

1. Will my current steering wheel fit the new helm?
2. Are the mounting points on a Teleflex system standard? Will it mount onto my motor (80s Mercury 35hp)? This is the one I'm worried about the most.

Here is the setup that I was considering.

12' Rack & Pinion Steering System #SS14112

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 16' Lund Steering Cable Replacement

You need a 13' kit not a 12' kit and the motor mounting ends are all the same

Call iboats and tell them you want a SeaStar The Rack Steering System Package in the 13' kit and ask them about the Low Price Guarantee and you will have the rack system fast.

The excess 6" can be "lost" in the cable run to the transom by being wavy but a 6" too short cable will never fit ;)

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 16' Lund Steering Cable Replacement

1. Will my current steering wheel fit the new helm?

Your steering wheel should fit the industry standard 3/4inch tapered shaft&nut that comes on new helms. Good luck!