Need Help ! Fair price to dismantle radar arch, flybridge and hardtop ?

Toronto43

Cadet
Hello everyone....Im relatively new to boating and need your assistance. I have purchased a 54 ' Bluewater Motoryacht that needs to be prepped for transportation by land. The radar arch, flybridge and a hardtop over the aft cabin need to be dismantled in order to comply with road height restrictions etc. Received a quote which seems quite excessive to me....approx. $5200.00 .

Im sure someone has gone through this before . You insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Joseph

Attachments

• 54' motoryacht rear.jpg
    54' motoryacht rear.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0

YoungMind

Seaman
Re: Need Help ! Fair price to dismantle radar arch, flybridge and hardtop ?

Personally I would just bring a couple of my burly friends and remove it all myself, but you might have fun trying to carry the pieces on that dock lol

If you are worried about things being damaged I would say pay someone to take it apart, but you might see if you can find someone else to give you a quote just in case the first guy thinks he has the market cornered ;)

GL either way, beautiful boat :)

Thalasso

Commander

Does this include re applying after it's delivered.
You know the old saying.
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It costs money to be bonded and insured, and to pay 2-3 people to do the work without causing damage.

Price may be cheaper if the boat was on land.

Toronto43

Cadet

Does this include re applying after it's delivered.
You know the old saying.
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

No it doesn't include reapplying after it reaches its destination. No problem with paying but I only pay what is a fair price. Im in Canada the boat is in Minnesota. If had not asked around for transportation costs, there were some transporters gouging by $10- $15 thousand.

Toronto43

Cadet

It costs money to be bonded and insured, and to pay 2-3 people to do the work without causing damage.

Price may be cheaper if the boat was on land.

Hi the boat is on land at this moment...this was a photo from the summer. No problem paying a FAIR price....I know things cost money but....Thank you for your input.

Joseph

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Hopefully they label the wiring. We've had a few come in at our marina that were just completly cut,hacked off. Nightmare to figure out and fix. Take a lot of puctures before they take it apart,not just for correct re-assembly,but for damages that sometimes happen in transit.
Grub

Toronto43

Cadet

Hopefully they label the wiring. We've had a few come in at our marina that were just completly cut,hacked off. Nightmare to figure out and fix. Take a lot of puctures before they take it apart,not just for correct re-assembly,but for damages that sometimes happen in transit.
Grub

Thank you..... that is one of my concerns ...but can't see why anyone wouldn't do it right for that price....LOL.

Joseph

Thalasso

Commander

have you thought about motoring on over to Canada (Lake superior/ Lake Ontario) instead of going through customs with it. That in itself seem problematic.Even if you had to hire a captain and supply transportation for him back home would be cheaper

Last edited:

Toronto43

Cadet

have you thought about motoring on over to Canada (Lake superior/ Lake Ontario) instead of going through customs with it. That in itself seem problematic.Even if you had to hire a captain and supply transportation for him back home would be cheaper

Hi ...thank you for the suggestion. I did do that....believe it or not , still less expensive to transport it with a Canadian company (35 years experience with big yachts) ...when you take into consideration fuel , time , travel costs. etc etc.

Joseph

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When we bought our SkipperLiner, everything on top had to come off so it could be towed to our lake. Flybridge, party top and all it's framing, the davit, the slide, and all of the steel guard railing. Took it all apart myself, about 12 hours total over one weekend. I turned the Party Cruiser trailer into a flatbed and hauled what wouldn't fit IN the boat home on that. The weekend of the launch, I called some of my kids and friends, offered them food and beverage and it all went back up in about 6 hours.

Now, I realize my boat isn't a motoryacht, but still- it's all just nuts & bolts and wiring. I don't consider the teardown AND re-assembly we did to be worth anywhere NEAR $5000, let alone only HALF the job...

Toronto43

Cadet

When we bought our SkipperLiner, everything on top had to come off so it could be towed to our lake. Flybridge, party top and all it's framing, the davit, the slide, and all of the steel guard railing. Took it all apart myself, about 12 hours total over one weekend. I turned the Party Cruiser trailer into a flatbed and hauled what wouldn't fit IN the boat home on that. The weekend of the launch, I called some of my kids and friends, offered them food and beverage and it all went back up in about 6 hours.

Now, I realize my boat isn't a motoryacht, but still- it's all just nuts & bolts and wiring. I don't consider the teardown AND re-assembly we did to be worth anywhere NEAR $5000, let alone only HALF the job...

Thank you ... My thoughts exactly !!! I build homes from scratch here in Toronto so I could do it but Minnesota is about 1500 km away . Was hoping not to go down but seems I may have to ...

Joseph