Steering cable help...please

sndmntboy

Cadet
I have a 67 Fabuglas runabout and the cable steering gave up the ghost. I decided to go with a single cable steering system since the 86 60 hp Evinrude i have is setup for that kind of steering. My brother-in-law gave me a steering gear box and wheel off a 20-30 year old bass boat he use to have. Everything works and looks great for its age. I just need to find out what kind of cable is needed for this gear box. Nothing is stamped on the box to give me any clue as to what it is. Anyone have any ideas???DSC_0353.jpgDSC_0352.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering cable help...please

That is the old style helm using a screw on cable. Newer style cables clip or clamp into the helm. New systems cost somewhere around 150-300 bucks.

Since, if you can find the cable, it will cost north of 80 dollars and since you can get a new helm and cable for around 150 if you shop around, you are better off buying a complete new system.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

That "looks" like an old Teleflex helm. Do what Frank said and get a new no-feedback helm and cable. You'll be very happy for a long, long time, and not very broke. JMHO.

sndmntboy

Cadet

Thats what i was afraid of....new one it is. Thank you gentleman.