Removed old transducer - how to patch up the old holes?

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hello

Got a new fish finder. The old transducer holes dont fit the new setup. So I had to drill new holes. What is the best way to patch up the old 3 holes? Silicone? Its an aluminum hull...

Thanks
Zipp

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removed old transducer - how to patch up the old holes?

The transom is about 4" thick I'm not so sure that reevits will do the trick

jcfitzgerald

Seaman Apprentice

Properly sized sst or aluminum bolts and marine silicone.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

How about properly sized aluminum bolts with a washer and some 3m 5200. Silicone will leak eventually whereas the 5200 wont.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds good 3m 5200 it is then

Thanks a lot
Zipp

jcfitzgerald

Seaman Apprentice

How about properly sized aluminum bolts with a washer and some 3m 5200. Silicone will leak eventually whereas the 5200 wont.

Around these parts the dealers use silicone. Never had it leak in my experience. Asked about 5200 myself and was told it is a waste of money.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Silicone is cheaper, they just don't want to pay for a superior product.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Read the silicone tube. Somewhere the fine print will say "not for underwater use". Get some 4200 or 5200, it is not made of silicone and will do the job it is designed for. Silicone is fine for above the water line.

thumpar

Admiral

4200 and 5200 are good stuff. I would use the 5200 in this case since this will be a permanent thing. The 4200 is a little more flexible and is easier to remove later if needed.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use Marine Tex. Cures quick, sticks to everything (almost), and no mess compared to 3M seagull s**t.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, its so much easier (and cleaner) mixing two part epoxy than squishing a tube. :eek: :D :facepalm:

Yep, sarcasm duly noted. If I want a semi-permanent, flexible seal, I'll use 3M 4200 or 5200. If I want a watertight, permanent seal that is also colourable, I'll use Marine Tex.

Lil' Bone

Cadet

Hello

Got a new fish finder. The old transducer holes dont fit the new setup. So I had to drill new holes. What is the best way to patch up the old 3 holes? Silicone? Its an aluminum hull...

Thanks
Zipp

I resently delt with this. I got an old plastic cutting board, cut it to size and attatched with SS screws & 5200. This is nice because it gives you somewhere to mount the new trabsducer, with out drilling any more holes in the boat.

alldodge

Staff member

You know if the holes are above the water line there shouldn't be much of an issue for leaking. silicone or 5200

SigSaurP229

Commander

Stainless steel bolts properly sized filled with 5200

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Yeah there's my suggestion ^^^^ SS machine bolts with 5200 and nylocs on the inside is a permanent fix that won't ever leak.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

I resently delt with this. I got an old plastic cutting board, cut it to size and attatched with SS screws & 5200. This is nice because it gives you somewhere to mount the new trabsducer, with out drilling any more holes in the boat.

I actually thought about that but my transducer is actually the Lowrance Structure Scann that is about 10" long and has to be folded up every time the boat is not in the water to prevent it from getting damaged. I am not sure if it would have held up from all that moving up and down.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks so much... Over the weekend went to bass pro and picked up 3d 5200. Got all the bolts, washers and nuts ready (stainless) to be installed sometime this week.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it

Thanks
Zipp

Last edited:

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Marine epoxy putty will fill the holes . It is super strong and water tight too/ You can even sand it down smooth and paint it..Great stuff