Whats my boat really worth

letsgo19

Seaman
I am selling my 2004 Bayliner 205.Its been outfitted for wakeboarding with tower lights speakers ballast prop.Nada says $18000 high $12000 low.My question is are those practical values?And what are the best ways to sell it.Craigslist?Ebay?Any advice is appreciated as I have never sold a boat before.I have clear title.Thanks Mike

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Whats my boat really worth

Personally I would not pay that for a 10 year old boat but I do see some listed in that range. The value is more about the area and the boats appearance and quality of care. I stay away from craigslist because all it seems to draw are scammers. Ebay gets the add out there to lots of people but is expensive. Local ads and perhaps a local consignment seller would be my choice. Look around your area and see what boats in similar size and condition are selling for and price accordingly. Just as a side note I found both my boats on Ebay but purchased them in person allowing us to both skip the ebay and paypal fees ( the ads were clearly marked also for sale locally and can be cancelled at anytime). And sold my first boat in person from an ebay ad with the same condition specified.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

NADA is only a guideline. If the market is soft in your area your not going to get top dollar for a 10 year old boat. Do the research to see what boats in your area are selling for and go from there. Good luck.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't bother with Craigslist myself due to the scammers and all the junk you have to wade through to find something good. I like Boat Trader myself. Iboats is also a good place to list it.

As far as price I would as somewhere in the middle of the values NADA gave you amd see if you get any bites.

letsgo19

Seaman

So what i'm thinking is it's all about the asking price,but I also don't want to give it away.I'm thinking of asking $16000.00 OBO Also how much commission do consignment sellers take?The boat has super low hrs and has been well taken care of.Problem is it doesn't have an hour meter but I have kept a log of how many hrs we have used it.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't have a problem with craigslist.

Value is driven by several factors, which NADA can't account for. #1 is condition. A huge factor is location. Where I live, a boat like that would have little value; drive two hours west to the lake and it would.

letsgo19

Seaman

Ya that's in our advantage we live one mile from a very large lake in Vermont ,Lake Champlain.

thumpar

Admiral

We have a friend with the same boat minus the addons and they were going to sell it for $12k last summer. I agree with bubba on that addons. What motor and drive do you have? That will effect price too.

pckeen

Commander

Ebay will take 10% of your sale price, whereas craigslist is free, but ebay buyers are usually looking for a deal, so you won't get top dollar. If you list it on Craigslist and get no calls....and interested parties coming to look at it, then you are asking too much. Lots of stuff sells on craigslist. A consignment seller takes varying amounts - depending on the company, but in some areas, 20% isn't unusual.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

I sold my last boat on craigslist for $100 more than I bought it for 7 years earlier. The person that bought it emailed me the day of the listing and came to look at it 2 days later. They took it home that day.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

keep in mind also that the high end of the range is dealer sales... they can get more than you can because people THINK the boat is "checked out" and in perfect condition AND because the dealer can arrange financing so the buyer only has to come up with a down payment and a signature.

Personally I always buy everything used and NEVER pay anywhere near blue book pricing on anything EVER

bluebook 10-16k I would look to spend 6-8k

letsgo19

Seaman

The motor is 305 220hp Turn Key Mercarb So given it's in great shape low hrs polished often looks very nice,with boating season approaching,any suggestions on starting price?We aren't in any big hurry to sell.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you already HAVE your asking price... ask that and if it doesn't sell ask less till it does

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

and when you go to sell it, always take the first legit offer

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

keep in mind also that the high end of the range is dealer sales... they can get more than you can because people THINK the boat is "checked out" and in perfect condition AND because the dealer can arrange financing so the buyer only has to come up with a down payment and a signature.

Exactly!

You're out of that 6-10k sweet spot that most people can swing and get out from under easily, in my opinion. Many cash buyers "diversify" their toys and investments so that they're not tied to any one thing/hobby. At 16k on a 10 year old boat I'd think that a buyer would want to leave himself some wiggle room if they ever wanted to unload it in a couple of years. Just an opinion for conversation's sake. Good luck to you!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

bayliner.jpg Does it look like this one? ;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Crickets........

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would recommend selling it on iboats. It will reach a wider audience and might be something people are looking for. Sell a Boat Fast With iboats.com

letsgo19

Seaman

Ya I might do that Will see what kind of response I get on craigslist I just recently put it on.Thanks.Thanks to all that gave advice too.Biggest thing I ever sold before was a house and that took 2 years!