Regal 2150 LSC advice

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are considering upgrading from a 210 Larson All American cuddy with a 4.3l. It is a 1990. We find it underpowered with the anymore than 4 people on board. We slalom ski and enjoy water sports. A cuddy is a must have for our 2 girls and my wife.

I found a 1999 Regal 2150 LSC with a carbed 5.0 merc and alpha 1 drive. It has a fast trac hull. Overall it looks like a good boat, but I am concerned about the floor not being fibreglass/ not having removal carpet. I think it may be a nice upgrade from our Larson. Any advice about the boat would be appreciated. Hard to wet test the boat during the winter. May hold off until spring.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Regal 2150 LSC advice

Regals are nice boats but I have definitely seen some really nice looking ones show up as completely rotted projects on this site. This time of year with everything being frozen it might be tough to check for soft spots but look it over very carefully. I'm also concerned that a carbed 5.0 isn't going to be a big enough upgrade from your 4.3 to make it worth the trade. I think you may be wanting for a 5.7.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Regals are nice boats but I have definitely seen some really nice looking ones show up as completely rotted projects on this site. This time of year with everything being frozen it might be tough to check for soft spots but look it over very carefully. I'm also concerned that a carbed 5.0 isn't going to be a big enough upgrade from your 4.3 to make it worth the trade. I think you may be wanting for a 5.7.

Thanks for the input!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I echo ezmobee's sentiments and would also recommend a water test to get the seat of your pants evaluation. I imagine your 4.3 is carbed too. The 5.0 motors are good and so are the 4.3 however, the fuel injected versions of both are even better. The injected models make a world of difference.

BTW the Regal is a good step up from a Larson ;)

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I echo ezmobee's sentiments and would also recommend a water test to get the seat of your pants evaluation. I imagine your 4.3 is carbed too. The 5.0 motors are good and so are the 4.3 however, the fuel injected versions of both are even better. The injected models make a world of difference.

BTW the Regal is a good step up from a Larson ;)

Thanks for your input. I think I will wait for early summer. Probably not a good idea to purchase without a wet test.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

That boat will be nicely-powered with a 5.0 carbureted engine and will easily exceed 50 MPH (55 should be possible with a light load and a SS prop). You'd be wise to do a thorough inspection on any boat you consider, but especially a 99 with a plywood sole