My Boating Safety Certificate - Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV Shooter

Cadet
Hello All-

Back in '94, at the age of 13, I passed a boaters safety class given by the now-defunct Kingsway chapter of the USPS.
I took my cert. to the DMV and got a boaters license (which at the time made me an 8th grade celebrity - you had to look closely to see it was just for boating, not a standard DL...But I digress).

Fast forward 20 yrs. and my USPS issued documentation has been lost to the bowels of my parents house. The USPS HQ in Chapel Hill told me no records for minors were kept . I went to the DMV and the prickly fellow behind the counter informed me that seeing that I, at one time, possessed a license was not possible. All of which brings me here.

Should I call it a day and take another boater safety class? Anyone know of any other routes to take here?
The class was intensive, much more involved than the "7-11" classes offered now. I'd hate to have no proof I completed it.

Thanks for any help here!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: My Boating Safety Certificate - Gone?

My Grampa and Dad tought me all I ever needed to know. Nevertheless, I took the course as well.....probably learned a couple of things. When my own boys got to the age I accompanied them when they took their courses. The last time the Wife went too. So, in all I did it 3 times. All the original certificates for everybody are in my lock box, including the first one taken 50+ years ago.

Take it again and chalk it up to experience. The certificate will give you a discount on your insurance and you just might learn something new or be reminded of what you forgot.

machz

Cadet

Hello All-

Back in '94, at the age of 13, I passed a boaters safety class given by the now-defunct Kingsway chapter of the USPS.
I took my cert. to the DMV and got a boaters license (which at the time made me an 8th grade celebrity - you had to look closely to see it was just for boating, not a standard DL...But I digress).

Fast forward 20 yrs. and my USPS issued documentation has been lost to the bowels of my parents house. The USPS HQ in Chapel Hill told me no records for minors were kept . I went to the DMV and the prickly fellow behind the counter informed me that seeing that I, at one time, possessed a license was not possible. All of which brings me here.

Should I call it a day and take another boater safety class? Anyone know of any other routes to take here?
The class was intensive, much more involved than the "7-11" classes offered now. I'd hate to have no proof I completed it.

I ran into the same problem well other than the minor part. I took a course that was for several weeks ending with a written and driving test at the marine patrol. When I took this course a license was not required to drive a boat. The course was way better than the current test for a license and I'm happy I took it but even though I have proof that I took the course they are making me take the current class.

So I just finished the online class and pretest in a day and have an appointment to take the in person test next Friday. I get a kick out of the test wasting time with questions about shooting a gun on a boat and how to operate a paddle board when they could use that time to teach more important safety items that would apply to the masses.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello All-

We are about the same age and I took the same exact class! I actually lost mine because I mistakenly turned it in when I got my car license at 17yo. I believe my father called or contacted the United States Power Squadron? And they were able to mail me a new one which I still have to this day.
If you like- I could try and ask him if he remembers how he went about getting this. He worked for the state at the time so he might have just called someone he knew...

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you'll have to get a new certificate by taking the course again.

Boater Safety Certificates are like Driving Licenses in that each state recognizes certificates from other states, even though the requirements to earn a certificate vary from state to state. Rather than complete the NJ certificate program which requires classroom instruction and a proctored exam, take the online course offered by Maryland. You already have the knowledge; take the brief online exam and immediately thereafter you can print a temporary certificate. A permanent certificate follows in a couple of weeks.

Here's the link to the Maryland course: Maryland's Official Boating Safety Course and Online Boating License Exam

FYI, I had our Cherry Hill, NJ Boy Scouts take the Maryland program instead of the NJ program since it was cheaper and easier.

Last edited:

machz

Cadet

I think you'll have to get a new certificate by taking the course again.

Boater Safety Certificates are like Driving Licenses in that each state recognizes certificates from other states, even though the requirements to earn a certificate vary from state to state. Rather than complete the NJ certificate program which requires classroom instruction and a proctored exam, take the online course offered by Maryland. You already have the knowledge; take the brief online exam and immediately thereafter you can print a temporary certificate. A permanent certificate follows in a couple of weeks.

Here's the link to the Maryland course: Maryland's Official Boating Safety Course and Online Boating License Exam

FYI, I had our Cherry Hill, NJ Boy Scouts take the Maryland program instead of the NJ program since it was cheaper and easier.

I wish I had known this a couple of days ago :)

TV Shooter

Cadet

Thanks for this information, DBreskin! That seems like the route to go.

I'm not opposed to getting a refresher on certain things, but like Machz said - The USPS course was in-depth, and focused on navigation, chart reading and other skills lost to antiquity. Glad I took it, guess I'll just chalk it up to a good experience.

rafarron

Recruit

I ran into the same problem well other than the minor part. I took a course that was for several weeks ending with a written test to do my essay and driving test at the marine patrol. When I took this course a license was not required to drive a boat. The course was way better than the current test for a license and I'm happy I took it but even though I have proof that I took the course they are making me take the current class.

So I just finished the online class and pretest in a day and have an appointment to take the in person test next Friday. I get a kick out of the test wasting time with questions about shooting a gun on a boat and how to operate a paddle board when they could use that time to teach more important safety items that would apply to the masses.

Hi, is a NJ Boat Safety Certificate similar to the Boat License or is it the same? And can I renew the certificate in another state? I thought about this online course: Boat Pennsylvania Online Boating Safety Course.

Status
Not open for further replies.