gas fumes in ranger 392v

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice
Have battery compartment open and can smell some fumes.I check line and hatch with flash light but can not see anything wrong or damp.Can the tanks be venting off some?

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: gas fumes in ranger 392v

If it is, the vent should be outside the closed compartments. Gas fumes are nothing to fool with, I would get a mechanic in there before you do anything else.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is a dangerous situation. There should be no fumes in the bilge. Look for leaks at the fill, vent and fuel line that leads to the engine. Sometimes the tanks themselves can leak. Is your tank aluminum or plastic?

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure what tanks were made of in that year and can't see in there. The hatch has been open for over a week as I have been working on new fish finder,maybe fumes from vent are being sucked down? I will close for a while then check before I take it to the shop.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There should not be any fumes in the boat that could go into the battery compartment. You have a leak, IMHO.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

How old is your boat? tanks can wear out, rub or vibrate loose, gas lines and hoses can wear or rot from ethanol too. Excessive fumes is nothing to take lightly, I would be disconnecting your battery ASAP until you fix the issue.

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all,I have been sleepless over this so I ran it up to the boat repair today. I well be back as soon as I no more.Thanks Again

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would also be very careful about disconnecting a battery in this situation...