Looking at a yamaha jet boat.

Sundayknight

Recruit
Hi all. Just wanted to get peoples opinions on the yamaha jet boats. Looking at a 2004 or newer 19-23 ft jet boat. I never really paid any attention to them until we were at a used boat dealership about a week ago and the salesman pointed one out to us. I kinda dismissed it at the time, but after i got home i went and looked at some videos on the interweb. Now I'm considering buying one. Just wanted to get peoples impressions. Are they reliable? Any major flaws I should be aware of? Is maintenance more expensive or different? I'm in Central Florida and will be taking it on both the intercostal and freshwater lakes. Otherwise I would be looking at a similar sized deck boat. A Tahoe , Hurricane, regal deck boat is kinda what I was looking at before the yamaha got me all sidetracked. Thanks in advance for any advice.:)

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Looking at a yamaha jet boat.

I have a 2011 SX210. Really like it. Maintenance is easy simple and engines are known to be reliable. Highly maneuverable, but handle differently than stern drive or inboard so takes a bit of adjustment. Plenty of power/acceleration, roomy. Fairly light so probably not the smoothest ride on big water but ours has been great on inland lakes and rivers. If you plan to keep the boat slipped in saltwater or boat mostly in places with a lot of surface vegetation, I would skip it. Otherwise, worth considering.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Sundayknight, if you haven't already tried it, you might do a forum search on "jet boat" or "Yamaha jet boat". In addition to whatever other helpful replies you get to this thread, you will find there is a lot of info in previous threads that might help in your decision.

And remember... if you get a boat, you have to post pictures here for us so we can see what you got!

Best,
Jim

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good suggestion. There are some very active forums specific to this type of boat.

S&F180SEI

Recruit

We bought an 07 SX 210 in September, We only got to use it for 2 weeks but were really happy with it. It took some getting used to coming from a stern drive but after only a couple times out we got the hang of it. Only thing I would say is try one out, they rev much higher then other boats therefore it is a totally different sound that is a little loud. That being said we still love ours and would def. recommend a yamaha to anyone.

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at them pretty seriously before buying a different I/O, this website is a great source for more information: </TITLE></head> <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" LEFTMARGIN="0" TOPMARGIN="0" RIGHTMARGIN="0" BOTTOMMARGIN="0" onLoad="" LINK="#000000" VLINK="#000000" ALINK="#000000" > <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpad

I don't really see them as being better or worse than an I/O, just different. I loved the simplicity and reliability of the drive , the lack of bow rise, the big open seating, and the rear swim platform area is simply best in class. On the flip side they don't have that great V8 rumble, they don't handle chop as well due to the nature of the drive and their light weight, and I was a little concerned over the unique low speed handling (though I'm sure I would have quickly adjusted). Ultimately had I found a good deal on one, I would have probably bought it. I was looking Yamaha only with a strong preference for the 2nd gen boats (2007+ I think), which seemed to have improved quality, more attractive aesthetics, and a deeper interior.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have researched these to no end as I have decided that a Yamaha will be the next boat purchase for my family. I recommend getting into a brand specific forum for all your questions but mostly of what you will hear from that is the positives. Ill give you the negatives I found.
The single axel trailer that comes with the smaller ones is pretty chintsy so consider an upgrade
Most of your hinges on accesse doors are not through bolted just screwed into fiberglass
Engine noise requires requires the application of sound deadening material in the engine bay or a foam gasket on hatch ledge to reduce if needed.
Clean out ports require maintence after every use ( just pull out and smear petroleum on the seal)
Low speed handling
Lighter hull= slightly rougher ride
There are two engines but if one is inop you have to limp back at idle because of the cooling system design. Above idle speeds will force water into the exhaust of the inop engine and flood out that cylinder (remedied by installing a shutoff valve)

bconley

Cadet

Yamaha's were originally designed for the saltwater. Open loop cooling, no real maintenance. I have customers who live around Atlanta and tow their 242 Limited S to Savannah and use it in salt and love it. Slow speed handling and surging when cranking has been improved on the later boats. You can always choose to add the fins on the jets to improve slow handling. Biggest thing is people tend to over-correct/ over-steer a jetboat because the slow steering is slightly less responsive than a prop boat. High speed they turn on a dime and do not come "unhooked" because of the drive system. Boattest.com offers several videos. Power to weight is superior, The propulsion is more in line with the boat meaning less bow rise and quicker acceleration. Plus you are not losing power through all the bends/gears like an I/O.

Yes I work at a dealer who sells Yamaha boats as well as tracker, bayliner, and hurricane. We do have several used in-stock and I am in north Georgia.

Last edited:

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did a lot of research and shopping and thinking, I like them personally and they would suit my needs well. If i could get fish and ski version I would call it near perfect.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

One thing to consider for slow speed maneuverability is adding Thrust Vectors. We saw these at the Yamaha booth during the Mpls Boat Show. My friend is going to add these to her 220.

TVXL%u00252BCropped%2BFor%2BPublications.jpg