New Boat... To Me... 1978 Galaxy 20' Cuddy Cabin, Mercruiser 165 I/O...Info Please

painthorsman

Cadet
Hi All... I just picked up a 1978 Galaxy 20 foot Cuddy Cabin Boat... The HIN is GALJ4047M78D. I have no idea what the model is ( it has a solid all the way across windshield and you have to go out through the forward deck port to get on the bow or... tippy toe around the gunwale holding onto the windshield)...It's my first "bigger" boat. I know nothing about em other than I got it for 100 bucks and an Olympus Digital Camera in trade...WITH the tandem axle trailer. The hull is in pretty good shape, transom looks n feels solid as does the stringers..what I can see of them... the few scrapes and gouges it has have been filled with fiberglass resin...the gel coat is in pretty good shape.....the floor is solid and seats and carpet are good but faded... However.. the 160 hp six cyl Mercruiser engine has milky oil and is probably a quart overfull... I'm guessing a crack in the water jacket. The log / exhaust manifold seems to have no external cracks but I'm guessing that maybe someone didnt completely get all the water drained out of the block and possibly cracked it. All the other mechanicals, electrical stuff and tilt trim work...tilt gauge isnt working, outdrive seems to be in good shape but has a chip out of the skag and the prop has a lil damage to the outer edges.

My questions are...1. Can anyone tell me anything about these boats... I've read they're out of business and have changed hands a zillion times since the early 90's. 2. Are the six cylinder inlines prone to crack? Is there any real good way to check other than capping everything off and pressure checking?.. there are no external cracks that I've found. I'm tempted to pull the drain plug and then fill the block with antifreeze mix to see if any water comes out... before I change the oil and try to run it. The guy wanted 2500.00 for the boat til I pointed out the milky engine oil..... Worst case scenario, where can I find a decent used block or engine? I'm told the Mercruiser chevy 250 is special?.... my daughter's plans of getting dragged around on a tube on Table Rock Lake down at Branson, might be on hold for a little while longer....

Dang forum wont let me upload a .jpg file... picture of this boat!.... goes through all the hoops then tells me it failed...I can send pics to about any other forum I'm on... this one must think I'm an alien or something....

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: New Boat... To Me... 1978 Galaxy 20' Cuddy Cabin, Mercruiser 165 I/O...Info Plea

Upload your pics to Photobucket.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New Boat... To Me... 1978 Galaxy 20' Cuddy Cabin, Mercruiser 165 I/O...Info Plea

Pics! Its -58 and I need something to see!
Maybe the old six needs some gaskets but since its pretty much a free boat you may have some room to spend some $$.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi All... I just picked up a 1978 Galaxy 20 foot Cuddy Cabin Boat... The HIN is GALJ4047M78D. I have no idea what the model is ( it has a solid all the way across windshield and you have to go out through the forward deck port to get on the bow or... tippy toe around the gunwale holding onto the windshield)...It's my first "bigger" boat. I know nothing about em other than I got it for 100 bucks and an Olympus Digital Camera in trade...WITH the tandem axle trailer. The hull is in pretty good shape, transom looks n feels solid as does the stringers..what I can see of them... the few scrapes and gouges it has have been filled with fiberglass resin...the gel coat is in pretty good shape.....the floor is solid and seats and carpet are good but faded... However.. the 160 hp six cyl Mercruiser engine has milky oil and is probably a quart overfull... I'm guessing a crack in the water jacket. The log / exhaust manifold seems to have no external cracks but I'm guessing that maybe someone didnt completely get all the water drained out of the block and possibly cracked it. All the other mechanicals, electrical stuff and tilt trim work...tilt gauge isnt working, outdrive seems to be in good shape but has a chip out of the skag and the prop has a lil damage to the outer edges.

My questions are...1. Can anyone tell me anything about these boats... I've read they're out of business and have changed hands a zillion times since the early 90's. 2. Are the six cylinder inlines prone to crack? Is there any real good way to check other than capping everything off and pressure checking?.. there are no external cracks that I've found. I'm tempted to pull the drain plug and then fill the block with antifreeze mix to see if any water comes out... before I change the oil and try to run it. The guy wanted 2500.00 for the boat til I pointed out the milky engine oil..... Worst case scenario, where can I find a decent used block or engine? I'm told the Mercruiser chevy 250 is special?.... my daughter's plans of getting dragged around on a tube on Table Rock Lake down at Branson, might be on hold for a little while longer....

Dang forum wont let me upload a .jpg file... picture of this boat!.... goes through all the hoops then tells me it failed...I can send pics to about any other forum I'm on... this one must think I'm an alien or something

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer probably Right,... Somebody didn't Drain the block, 'n it's Freeze Busted,...

Pressurize with air, 'bout 15psi, 'n Listen,....
You'll hear the crack, follow the noise,...

Yer motor is in fact the ole Chevy I6, 250,...
A pickup or car motor will work, but not all of 'em have the "Ear", front starboard corner, for boltin' the marine motor mount on,...
Or another Merc I6, used take-out from another boat,...
craigslist is a good place to look,...

painthorsman

Cadet

Well... we'll try it with Photobucket
78galaxy1_zps01847cd1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

painthorsman

Cadet

I just discovered whoever the dips!#*t was that did the title on this boat got the HIN wrong.... the title says GALJ4047M78D.... It's actually GALJU047M78D.... I guess I'll play dumb...it's staying in MO anyhow...aint my fault someone with a third grade education misread a letter for a number. The engine isnt a 160 hp either.. its the later 165. Right now it's near zero outside and I have a heater under the oil pan to keep the milk/water/oil in the pan from freezing hard enough to bust something else. It's supposed to warm up this next week... I'll drain the pan.. leave the plug out...pour in water or antifreeze mix through the t stat and see what happens someone said the weak spot in the I-6 block is behind the tappet covers in the starboard side of the engine... I'll take em off and see what happens... another person I've talked to told me if the crack isnt big and it's visible... jb weld it and use some sort of liquid glass in the block.... anyone one here have one of these old motors for parts?