portable plastic fuel tank

giovanni C

Recruit
Someone somewhere must have had this problem. Outlet fitting from tank fuel pick up to supply hose has broke. Are retro fit outlets available or do you throw away a $45 tank?

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Re: portable plastic fuel tank

Could check Walmart or similar stores that carry the tanks....might have some fittings?...

alldodge

Staff member

Someone somewhere must have had this problem. Outlet fitting from tank fuel pick up to supply hose has broke. Are retro fit outlets available or do you throw away a $45 tank?

What kind/manufacture of fitting is needed? Got pics?

:welcome: to iboats

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

This is one reason I went back to metal tanks for my portables.
Plastic tanks seem to leak, a lot.
Split 2 outlet fittings, longitudinally, How ?
And, parts are available for most brands, but are expensive.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Yes, plastic tanks are throw-aways. If you want a tank for long term use, buy a metal one. Of course, you'll pay a LOT more for it. You get what you pay for.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You will need to know how the fitting is installed. I have one that screws in. I have another that was pressed into an aluminum sleeve.

I have been using plastic tanks for 20+ years, right after all the metal ones rusted out.

UncleWillie

Captain

If it a Moeller tank, they tend to honor their warranties for longer than they have to.

If there is any reasonable doubt that it MIGHT be a defect; Like it broke and you didn't just drop it upside down,
they will often send a new tank of the latest model for free.

Try the manufacturer first. A small replaceable fitting might very well be sent gratis!

Last edited:

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

good luck trying to find a site for replacment parts. i have a dura tank and i was trying to find a gasket to fit the pick up fuel site glass .....nothing...... so i had to make a gasket to fit. if you come up with a site please post it.

82rude

Rear Admiral

I have had a moller 12 gallon portable for many years.zero problems atall roscoe.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I had a plastic tank in the '80's that split and leaked gas all over. The gauge on my 2009 OEM tank never worked correctly, plus it leaked around the fitting from the get-go. I replaced it with a Moeller, but it didn't meet my requirements either. Even when both were "functional" they expanded and contracted so much from temperature changes that I was never comfortable.

I currently run steel tanks made in 1953, 1964, 1970 and 1984. None have ever had water inside them and I don't let them sit in the elements. None have a spot of rust inside. All have had the gauge floats replaced due to E10, and the '53 has had all the gaskets replaced. Parts are cheap and readily available. My 2009 OB currently runs a '64 OMC tank.

82rude

Rear Admiral

you can look at moeller marine aftermarket tanks..they have replacement parts.jimS123 any tank can have a fault.ive got a metal one with a seam leak .am I scared of all metal tanks now?of course not.how about the old wives tales and supposedly massive carnage caused by pressure tanks.plastic tanks are no better or no worse than any other.treat them with respect and take care of them and they will last a life time and so will their metal compatriots.heck I got a small herd of steel merc and omc tanks in the garage.i believe their starting to breed. http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/fuel_storage_tanks/fuel_accessories-noul/ love to see some pics of the lyman.

Last edited:

giovanni C

Recruit

Good News, Atwood is sending a gratis replacement assy.:)