Capacity Plate Information

fordaboat

Cadet
I have a 1988 15' winner alpha 2 bass boat that does not have the USCG capacity plate.The manufacturer is out of business to the best of my knowledge. I've have done a little research about the specs, that 75hp is the limit, that the boat by itself weighs 760 lbs. empty, that's all I know. I'm hoping there is somebody that has a boat like this one that can send me a picture or the information that I need so I can have one made.winner

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Capacity Plate Information

I don't think you can just make one and have it be official. I would contact the coast guard to see what you need to do.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The Coast Guard doesn't issue them, or approve them.
The manufacturer issued it originally.
It is perfectly acceptable to make a replica placard.

Even if you can't find all the details from the original, you can have one made.

It is entirely possible that you may not be required to have one on your boat.
It was required to be put on by the manufacturer.
And some states require them.
But some states have not put that in their state regs.

These guys do a fabulous job of making the stickers.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...opics/bass-tracker-capacity-plate-639422.html

We do have a separate "Winner" boat forum, where you might ask the question.:

Winner Boats

According to NADA, your boat weighs 800#, plus the outboard, battery, and fuel. But that info is not part of a capacity sticker.

1988 Winner Boats Prices & Values - NADAguides

thumpar

Admiral

Here in WA they always look at the plate during inspection.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

"THEY" ??

Depends on the state, and if the waters are under USCG regs, or state regs.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Get the info you need and just have a local trophy shop print it for you. They use a process called sublimation to print those plates on metal. I did that exact same process and it looks like a new factory plate. So easy to do...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

So depending on how the state regs are written, it is in violation to exceed capacity on the plate, IF there is a plate. The states that don't require them do not make any mention that the plate is actually required.

I personally have relocated my plate to inside the glove box. Just like the non-cluttered look. I've been stopped for 'safety' checks before, and not once did a game warden question my lack of plate. They looked briefly where it should be, and that is about it.

(If you are wondering why I kept mine, my boat can seat 6 safely but its a little cozy. If you don't have a plate, the law states capacity is what the game warden determines is safe and reasonable. I wanted the sticker as a backup in case they decided 6 was not safe or reasonable.)

Last edited:

fordaboat

Cadet

Thanks for the response. This my first time I've used the form. The state of Alabama requires this plate so I need to come up with the necessary information for it. My boat is 15' by 6.5' I have a 70hp johnson on it. Please help. Tanks again.

thumpar

Admiral

"THEY" ??

Depends on the state, and if the waters are under USCG regs, or state regs.
There are random inspections from the sheriffs department on the water or at the ramp around here. I have been inspected every year.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6393.jpg

There seems to be some uncertainty about capacity plates. When a manufacturer decides to build a type of hull, it gets together with a Coast Guard or a BIA representative and they go over blueprints to see that the hull conforms to regs. Once the hull is built, the Coast guard or BIA tests it to see that it will carry the capacity that the Coast Guard formula implies it will. Then the hull is certified and the manufacturer can put on a capacity plate.

It is not illegal to replace a capacity plate as long as the same numbers as the original are used. Here is one I made.

You have a computer and it most likely came with graphics. Make your own plate, print it, and laminate it. But put some effort into it to make it look decent--if not professional, at least not amateurish. Then attach it to the hull. I think I used the business card or address program to make mine as I did not need or want to put on graphics.

Unless your hull is very small, 70 HP does not seem excessive so if you can not get actual numbers, make a plate for 75 horsepower. No warden or conservation officer will question it.

Last edited: