Looking for an Ebko Stinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have what is probably a very obscure request, but am posting here in the hopes that someone might have some information.<br /><br />I am looking for an Ebko Stinger to buy. This boat was produced sometime in the late 60s/early 70s by Ebko boats based out of Hastings, Nebraska. The company went out of business sometime around the beginning of the 90s due to legal problems with the US Government (as in: they were NOT very nice to the environment).<br /><br />The boat was a tunnel-hull ski-boat available in both I/O and Outboard configurations. It was about 15' long, and had faux-wood paneling along both sides and up the "hood" (the boat was closed-bow). It sat four and didn't have a built-in gas tank (in Outboard configurations--I/Os did).<br /><br />My family had an Ebko Stinger when a young kid. We had the greatest fun with that boat. When my family bought it in the early 70s, it had a customized '71 Mercury 1350 (135 hp) in-line 6. The cowling of the engine was painted to match the color of the boat (a really cool metallic purple color that bordered on blue). That engine, unfortunately, died a quick death and was replaced under warranty with a '73 Mercury 1500 (150 hp) in-line 6 (which I still own).<br /><br />Back in '94, the transom of the boat ended up rotting out and warping dramatically, making the boat unsafe to use. In a fit of anger, my father ended up trading the boat in for an '83 Bonanza tri-hull (*sigh*). I ended up keeping the Merc however and hope to put the engine, which still runs like a champ, onto another Stinger if I can find one.<br /><br />I have found that tracking down a Stinger, a boat produced by a defunct company, to be an effort in near-futility. Last summer, I found a Stinger in Oray, Colorado, but it was an I/O configuration (I would prefer an outboard so I can use my Merc) and had a large crack down the middle of the underside. That is the only other Stinger I have ever seen. I'm sure there probably aren't that many left.<br /><br />Anyhoo, to summarize the long post, I'm hoping someone here might know of a Stinger that might be available for sale. Condition isn't a terribly important matter (as I can get the boat restored) as long as it is safe and "seaworthy". I don't need an engine with it, but if it is only available with an engine, that is fine too.<br /><br />Thanks to anyone who might have any information!<br /><br />Scott

72hornet

Recruit
Re: Looking for an Ebko Stinger

I grew up on Twin Lakes in Central Iowa and we had a Stinger on our lake. It was so cool! As I remember, it was purple metal flake with a large Merc 135 on the back. It was located on the west side of the lake by the bible camp. I was wondering if that was the boat you are referring to? It was so cool! I have searching for that boat to restore. It was owned by the Ukena family if I am not mistaken...

Status
Not open for further replies.