New Floor Covering for 17' Ski Boat Tips?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
Looking to replace the tired and torn covering in my 17' Chris-Craft Scorpion.
Anyone have a favorite supplier? How about preferred material? Color matter? Adhesive?

Thanks, appreciate any advice/tips you can share.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: New Floor Covering for 17' Ski Boat Tips?

Cabelas Marideck (now called Dorsett) with their matched adhesive. Easy to clean and maintain and wears like iron. Its oem on Starcraft, Stingray, Alumacraft, etc, etc. Pick the color that complements your boat.

My 30 year old "floor" (deck) still looks like new. I saw my previous boat last year - the floor was rotten, the fiberglass was dull, the seats were torn to pieces, but the deck covering still was servicable after 43 years.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Nautolex, have used it a couple times, and just received another roll of it this week.

Has 6 colors available. Its easy on your feet, easy to work with.
Best price on it is at gary's upholstery, $22.99.
Marine Vinyl Flooring | Nautolex - Gary's Upholstery Supplies

marfloornatural.jpg

marfloorblue.jpg

Last edited:

superbenk

Commander

I've considered using Seadek to replace the snap-in carpet in our boat.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Nautolex, have used it a couple times, and just received another roll of it this week.

Has 6 colors available. Its easy on your feet, easy to work with.
Best price on it is at gary's upholstery, $22.99.
Marine Vinyl Flooring | Nautolex - Gary's Upholstery Supplies

marfloornatural.jpg

marfloorblue.jpg

Interesting, I hadn't thought of Nautolex... need special adhesive? 6' width might be a problem, I'll have to check - don't want to deal with seams. Do you use a padding underneath?
Thanks.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

I've considered using Seadek to replace the snap-in carpet in our boat.

Looks like more of a deck covering? I'm looking for a flexible floor covering. Need to cut around seats and hatches and motor cover.
Thanks.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Cabelas Marideck (now called Dorsett) with their matched adhesive. Easy to clean and maintain and wears like iron. Its oem on Starcraft, Stingray, Alumacraft, etc, etc. Pick the color that complements your boat.

My 30 year old "floor" (deck) still looks like new. I saw my previous boat last year - the floor was rotten, the fiberglass was dull, the seats were torn to pieces, but the deck covering still was servicable after 43 years.

This looks nice. Don't know if it's wide enough tho (each unit of the Dorsett Marine Vinyl Floor would measure 73" wide and 3' long.) but it's reasonably priced. What adhesive did you use? I noticed in the Q&A one used spray adhesive.
Thanks.

pckeen

Commander

Nautolex just glues down. You don't use a padding underneath.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

This looks nice. Don't know if it's wide enough tho (each unit of the Dorsett Marine Vinyl Floor would measure 73" wide and 3' long.) but it's reasonably priced. Thanks.

The price is for 73" wide and sold in 3' increments. So that if you needed 18' you would buy 6 units. Then you would have a piece 73" wide by 18' long. No seam every 3'.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. Looks like vinyl is the way to go. Either Dorsett or Nautolex.
Can't wait to rip out the carpet!!!
As soon as the snow melts...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Gary's upholstery will send you a small sample in the mail.

I used a bucket of vinyl floor adhesive, $14 at the hardware store.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

This looks nice. Don't know if it's wide enough tho (each unit of the Dorsett Marine Vinyl Floor would measure 73" wide and 3' long.) but it's reasonably priced. What adhesive did you use? I noticed in the Q&A one used spray adhesive.
Thanks.

As I said I used Dorsett's matched adhesive. It was the trowel on-variety and its on the same catalog page as the vinyl.

Nautolex is OK, but it has a deeper texture and is more prone to visible damage if its pounded on real hard. Plus, its more expensive. Its more after-market, while Marideck is an oem.

In 2009 when I bought my Starcraft it had a finished floor, but I wanted a short front deck and I also wanted the seats covered. I did it all myself and the roll I bought from Cabelas was a 100% perfect match to the oem floor.

My 1984 Stingray was factory ordered with the "fishing interior". At my request, the factory supplied me with vinly floor remnants as well as a small stub roll of bootstripe tape - just for future repairs if necessary. After 30 years my floor can't be told from the new unused remnants.