Ranger aluminum

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Went to a small boat show in Green Bay last Friday with my son. Was surprised to see a new Ranger aluminum boat. It was very nice but the fit and finish was not up to the usual Ranger standards. After looking closely I did see a sign that said it was a prototype and that would explain that. Pretty cool that on one side of the booth there was a sign that said how great and better than aluminum fiberglass Ranger boats were, and on the other side of the booth was this new aluminum Ranger boat, LOL. Anyway the specs were that there was no wood in it, including the transom. Ranger has had no wood in the transom of their boats for a while and appears to be continuing that with the new aluminum hull. Looks like they used their great fiberglass skills on the console and such. All in all I liked it a lot. Has anyone else seen this new Ranger AL boat? Maybe I'm behind the times.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ranger aluminum

When Ranger was owned by Brunswick they "made" an aluminum boat then as well,...

Or I should say they re-branded Crestliner's as a Ranger "Cherokee",..Crestliner was also owned by Brunswick at the time,..

Now Platinum Equity Holdings owns Ranger and Trition, My guess is it is either a re-branded Triton aluminum boat or built by Triton for Ranger,....

I've seen pictures,....

If I buy a Ranger it will be a glass 619-620-621,.........Those are the best fishing boats on the water,..

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I spoke with the Ranger rep at the show and he said that " Ranger built a new plant just across the road and the metal working equipment to build this boat". I know from experience that getting equipment to work metal is a huge capital investment. I wish them luck. If their new metal boat follows suit with their fiberglass it should be a good one. I don't think its a re-branded anything I think its a RANGER.
I worked at the Carver plant then owned by MIRMAR a long time ago and we purchased Ranger for a short time until MIRMAR went down the tubes and sold to GENMAR or maybe Forrest bought Ranger back? I forget. I visited the Ranger plant a few times during that era, what an operation and their gelcoating operation was way ahead of the times. They really did build them "one at a time" sorta.

kfa4303

Banned

It seems like tin boats are having a bit of a rebirth in general. There are also some flats skiff builders that are starting to use aluminum too. I guess it still has a few advantages over all the fancy, new school composite materials. Certainly easier to fix and maintain for your everyday boater.