Is it common for a livewell to to drain through the boat's rear drain plug?

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it common for a livewell to to drain through the boat's rear drain plug? If yes, then the livewell will hold the water when plug is in place as logic dictates?
Thanks,
Les.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is it common for a livewell to to drain through the boat's rear drain plug?

Not exactly sure I understand your question, Les. Every livewell I've owned or operated had it's own drain to the outside, well above the waterline. Many had overflow drains that also discharged above the waterline. Are you saying the livewell drains into the bilge and then drains when you remove your hull drain plug? That would not be good.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not exactly sure I understand your question, Les. Every livewell I've owned or operated had it's own drain to the outside, well above the waterline. Many had overflow drains that also discharged above the waterline. Are you saying the livewell drains into the bilge and then drains when you remove your hull drain plug? That would not be good.

My livewell has an overflow vent to the starboard side wall above the water line. Also has a drain at the bottom (for draining purposes I suppose). When I pour water into the live well, it drains through the rear boat drain, not into the bilge…or at least not that i can see, which I quickly looked to see if it was the case but no. In the following pic, you can see the livewell on the right, and a fish box on the left which does drain to the bilge area via a hose, but I can fix that easily. Now, I have a fitting inside the bilge to a high speed pick up…no livewell pump at this time, but also curious as to how to connect a livewell pump to the well. I have the connection inside the well box, so I guess the hose to the well will run through the outside?
20140217_111542.jpg

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I know of a couple brands that think it's ok drain to the bilge. I wouldn't own any of them.

Live well pump mounts to the top of the sea **** on the scoop bracket

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I pour water into the live well, it drains through the rear boat drain, not into the bilge…

You're confusing us; what exactly do you mean by "rear boat drain"? To most of us, that would conjure images of the bilge plug... So how the water could be coming out the bilge drain hole but not emptying into the bilge itself seems quite the mystery.

Most boats have one plugged drain under the waterline, at the lowest point of the boat; this is the bilge drain.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're confusing us; what exactly do you mean by "rear boat drain"? To most of us, that would conjure images of the bilge plug... So how the water could be coming out the bilge drain hole but not emptying into the bilge itself seems quite the mystery.

Most boats have one plugged drain under the waterline, at the lowest point of the boat; this is the bilge drain.

Yes, that plugged drain below the water line. The water from the livewell drains out thru there. The mystery is, i don't see thewater accumulating in the bilge before exiting through the drain at the back of the boat...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a livewell should not drain into the bilge, to be pumped out by the bilge pump. That's just nasty.

On low freeboard boats, there can be a drain from the box to a through-hull in the stern that is below the water line; I have that on a key west. There is a hose from the box to the through hull so no water gets in the boat. It's not very satisfactory b/c it drains when you run unless you remember to reach in and plug it.

when you buy a used boat you inherit the previous owner's "improvements" as well as broken or disconnected features. If he used the livewell just for ice or storage he may not have cared that clean water accumulated in the bilge.

Earp

Seaman Apprentice

The livewell in my fishing boat has three plugs.....one at the forward end for water to drain from under the floor towards the rear bilge of the boat, this plug is left out when not using the livewell. One plug straight through the bottom of the hull for filling the live well. One at the rear of the livewell for connecting the fore and aft bilge. If I am leaving my boat in the water for a few days, I drain it through the rear bilge and let the pump shoot it out, not a big deal. Just hose out your bilge once in a while. Lots of other nasty stuff happens on a fishing boat ;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Lots of other nasty stuff happens on a fishing boat ;)
Your right, a lot of nasty stuff does happen on a fishing boat. In my case, things most freshwater fisherman can't comprehend which is why fish boxes, live well and bait well all drain directly overboard.

Old blood, guts and scales clogging up your bilge pump when you most need it one thing. An old squid, trapped "somewhere" in the bilge, is something altogether different. :puke:

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral

I know some boats have a "cooler" compartment for drinks or food that drains to the bilge. Not the best design, but definitely not supposed to be used as a livewell.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you may have broken piping from the livewell drain that is now running to the bilge

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I know some boats have a "cooler" compartment for drinks or food that drains to the bilge. Not the best design, but definitely not supposed to be used as a livewell.

That design difference is based on whether the bottom of the box is above or below the waterline. Or it should be; the real reason in cheap boats is cheapness.

So I have a "bay boat" hull with a floor drain into the bilge, to be pumped out; live well with intake and drain below the water line which makes me nervous, and small drains in the two lockers that drain into the bilge. The latter two I suspect drip onto flotation foam but if designed correctly they would be hosed at least to the keel.

On my center console the anchor locker, two fish boxes and live well each has its own drain overboard above the line, plus 2 scuppers aft to drain the cockpit. The only drain into the bilge is in the bottom of the console, which is not designed to get wet, but for just in case.
The cup holders have drains even that have tubes and fittings that go to the deck. Rod holders drain onto the deck.

Point is, thsi is how the rot-inducing sweetwater can get below--but it's not a problem as long as you keep the boat drained. On the trailer, bow up and plug out. Moored, bow up and float switch on the bilge pump; the pint that remains in the very stern won't hurt anything.

Maclin

Admiral

HC, my point was to help any newbie to not confuse the function of compartments that drain melting ice and sweating drinks to the bilge with the functions of a livewell. A person could put ice in and store fish in a cooler that drains to the bilge but holy carp what a stink if you leave a pint of that swill in. I have a boat with a cooler compartment option up in the bow and it drains above the water line with dedicated plumbing. The same boat with cooler in the cockpit floor option drains to the bilge along with ski locker.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so i have figured out where it's draining through. It's just another hose draining to the bilge. Is there some kind of t-fitting that I can connect the 2 hoses with some shut off valves, and out through the transom with a drain plug?

I forgot to mention that the drain for the livewell and fish/ice box are below water line.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral

It is not uncommon for the plumbing to be incorrect or missing. My new son-in-law's family bought a new Tracker last summer and they just about went down while tubing. None of the livewells were plumbed correctly from the dealer/factory :eek:

I have tracker 1800tf and water will drain from livewells through the drain if you fill the livewells with a hose. This lets the water circulate from the lake.through the livewells, and back to the lake as your pumps are running bringing in fresh water for the livewells.

yoginash

Recruit

Is it common for a livewell to to drain through the boat's rear drain plug? If yes, then the livewell will hold the water when plug is in place as logic dictates?
Thanks,
Les.
Is it a Sylvan boat?