Dixie Boat Works?

a327vette

Cadet
Noobie to the forum, just bought my first boat. Its a 1980 Dixie 199 Super Skier. The boat is in great shape, it has always been garaged. I actually built the engine for it last summer, and ended up buying the boat. I dont really see many on the lake, but most locals seem to know of the company.
I was told this boat belonged to the daughter of the owner of Dixie Boat Works, but I dont know. Supposedly it was in the showroom for several years. I would love to find pics of it in the showroom.
Are there any issues with these boats I need to look out for?
I'd love to see some pics of other Dixie super skiers, maybe I can get some ideas for mine.
I'll try to figure out how to post pics, until then here's a link to a couple shots
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Dixie Boat Works?

Nothing more to watch for than any other boat of that age. They have a dedicated following,,,,,

southkogs

Staff member

Like Cap'n John said - they have a following out there. In good shape, nothing to be afraid of ... but probably not a collector's item in the sense that a car would be. Very nice lookin' boat.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Can't seem to get a pic to work. Anybody help?

edit. Meaning I can't see the OPs pics ...

Last edited:

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

My neighbor at the lake has a super skier, I've always admired it. Most of the ones I've seen are direct drive, I wonder how many came in the I/O?

Yours is in much better shape!

a327vette

Cadet

From what i've found, I think the 299 super skier is direct drive and ford powered, the 199 is stern drive and Chevy powered...I could be wrong though. I didn't buy it as a collectors item, I plan on doing a lot of riding and skiing with it.
There is one softer spot in the floor right behind the drivers chair, but otherwise its solid. The runners have been replaced with oak and glassed in several years back.
My main concern with it is the alpha 1. I know its only rated for 300 HP and its over 500, so I don't know how long that'll last. I've got it rev limited to 6,000. With a 14" 21 pitch prop, it tops out about 83 mph on GPS.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

With a 14" 21 pitch prop, it tops out about 83 mph on GPS.
Outstanding! You should talk to some'a the Dixie Wrecked boys over on the Suwanee. They know everything bout those boats.

a327vette

Cadet

I drove it with the 21 & a 19 pitch. I liked the 19 better personally. It tops at 68, but feels incredible. The Guy I got it from claims with the 21 & a 7000 chip in the limiter it hits mid 90s...I don't wanna go that fast yet

Sassydog

Recruit

Just saw this thread, I realise its a bit aged but I am really impressed by your boat! awesome looking!:faint2:
I've have had this Dixie super Skier 199 a couple of years. I was told it was built for a boat show and had twin turbos but they were too much for the boat and were removed?? Still has the gauge for turbo so maybe so. I don't see many on the lake anymore either but have seen a few around.
Hope the pics work.

photo 3.JPGphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

That engine looks just gorgeous, the carb with duel feed fuel. mmmm nice stuff.

The boats really nice too but you did very nice on the power plant, hope the back end stays together for ya.

a327vette

Cadet

Sassydog, good looking boat. I bet twins on that thing would be a handful. I have seen a couple on the internet with that padded engine cover, I guess that's a later model thing? It looks like it definitely wasn't short on gauges