Cobalt or Crownline? Boat show visit

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
As a new boater over the past few years, I've learned much and much more to go.. Went to my first boat show in Syracuse, NY. ( Go Syracuse!!!) :cool: basketball yell over now... WOW, was shocked to see price tags from $189,000, down to a few Sea Ray cuddys,, 23 footers around $50K. Even a rowboat with small OB for $5K. I prefer the used variety. ;) Chatted with a Cobalt salesman and asked him where the Crownline's were, told him I thought they were reverred as #1. He said, no.. Cobalts are better. Beautiful for sure....Was impressed with the unibody fiberglass construction they ALL seem to have,, no rotting floors anymore...asked him when boats got away from wood floors, he could not remember..must have been 15 years ago at least...anyway was a fun time to see what I cant afford...Cobalt or Crouwline?? your thoughts..

Arkyhunter46

Cadet
Re: Cobalt or Crownline? Boat show visit

Cobalts are, from a service standpoint, much much better boats. We see a lot of both here and the difference in quality is not even close. I have drove both boats and the ride in a Cobalt is hard to beat. The price difference in my opinion is worth it. I like the Mercruiser package over the Volvo simply because of the new style trim on Volvo's. If they had Mercruisers trim system they could not be beat.

agallant80

Commander

I looked at both at the last boat show I went to. Have never owned one of them thgough. The only thing that made me wonder was the Cobalt was built like an English Luxury car. Lots of wood, lots of (fake) leather, lots of really nice carpet. I am from more of the mind set that I would rather wash down the boat after use than have to detail it after using.

thumpar

Admiral

I am a Crownline owner and would vote for Cobalt. The Crownlines are very very nice but Cobalt is top dog.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

My $.02. I've looked at both over the years (dreaming). You cannot beat the quality of a Cobalt, they are squared away compared to other mass produced boats. I like Crownlines as well, they are very, very nice boats, but not at the same level as Cobalts I believe they are priced according to the niche of the market they are aiming for? The new Chris Crafts are well built machines too (in-line with Cobalt, IMO), but I'd probably take the Cobalt over one as I prefer the layouts...that's if money was not object!?

I will say, Crownlines I see (10+ years old) do seem to have a higher preponderance of chalky gel-coats when compared to other similar aged boats. Could be anecdotal or some manufacturing short-cut?

thumpar

Admiral

I would put the chalky gelcoat up to owner care. Mine is a 1996 and was kept on the lake all summer. I have no chalky gelcoat.

haulnazz15

Captain

Yup, Cobalt and Chris Craft are pretty much top-tier for the runabouts in terms of quality and craftsmanship. You pay a premium for the quality as well. Crownline is a very nice boat though, just a step down in overall fit/finish and price from the aforementioned brands. Cobalt has had zero-wood construction since the mid/late-90's I believe.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Crownline used to be one of the top dogs until they briefly went out of business. Since then the quality and workmanship has gone downhill.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

It seems you have you answer. Cobalt beats Crownline and Chris Craft is up there too in the high MID-tier boats. If you think their tag gives you sticker shock pass Everglades, EdgeWater and top tier lines.

Yup, Cobalt and Chris Craft are pretty much top-tier for the runabouts in terms of quality and craftsmanship. You pay a premium for the quality as well. Crownline is a very nice boat though, just a step down in overall fit/finish and price from the aforementioned brands. Cobalt has had zero-wood construction since the mid/late-90's I believe.

its_shaun12

Cadet

I was at the same show yesterday looking at the boats and comparing the new Crownlines with the Cobalts. As an owner of a 2000 Crownline I have been quite pleased with the overall finish of the product and find it to be a quality built boat. Now with that being said the Cobalts are clearly a step above and their build quality is impressive. I was however disappointed in one of the Cobalts I was sitting in because I found the helm seat to be rock hard and highly uncomfortable. I would like to believe that if I am spending $100k+ on a boat I would at least be comfortable! :rolleyes:

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now the question - is Cobalt quality worth it to you? I set out to buy a Cobalt last fall, and ultimately bought a Monterey yesterday. I'm still just as convinced that Cobalt builds the best bowrider that money can buy, but frankly I don't have enough money. Looking in the $20k range, a Cobalt similar to my 23' Monterey would easily have been $10k more. For a guy that spends most of his time at anchor letting his young kids swim, it just didn't add up. The math is different for everybody, maybe I'll have a bigger budget for my next one.:)

thumpar

Admiral

Now the question - is Cobalt quality worth it to you? I set out to buy a Cobalt last fall, and ultimately bought a Monterey yesterday. I'm still just as convinced that Cobalt builds the best bowrider that money can buy, but frankly I don't have enough money. Looking in the $20k range, a Cobalt similar to my 23' Monterey would easily have been $10k more. For a guy that spends most of his time at anchor letting his young kids swim, it just didn't add up. The math is different for everybody, maybe I'll have a bigger budget for my next one.:)
That is why I have a Crownline. It fit the budget (maybe a tad over) and still had the upper tier quality.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hands down...Cobalt is the premier mass producer of small pleasure boats. I have only owned Sea Rays (all used) and if I were in the NEW boat market for a 21-24' bowrider, I would only consider Cobalt. I have compared a new 19' SR to Cobalt side by side in a dealer showroom, and there is absolutely no question that Cobalt blows SR over like a feather when it comes to material quality, fit and finish, hull rigidity and choice of hardware, trim levels and attention to detail. The stitching in their seats appears as though it belongs in a Mercedes. The instruments and switches are the best available. The gelcoat both on the hull and inside the bilge is superbly done.

Cobalt is the benchmark in this class of boats.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You made a good choice, the Monterey is a beautiful boat and well built. You will probably have just as much enjoyment + money in the bank. After a few years- overall care overrides brand prestige since so many nice boats are neglected.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I was however disappointed in one of the Cobalts I was sitting in because I found the helm seat to be rock hard and highly uncomfortable. I would like to believe that if I am spending $100k+ on a boat I would at least be comfortable! :rolleyes:

The seats are supposed to be that way. They are designed to soften up as you use them. Monterey and Cobalt are in the same buyers group, and my Monterey seats did the same
thing when we bought our boat brand new. They are comfy now, as would be the Cobalt seats.

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You made a good choice, the Monterey is a beautiful boat and well built. You will probably have just as much enjoyment + money in the bank. After a few years- overall care overrides brand prestige since so many nice boats are neglected.

Thanks. Ultimately my wife made a good point (the horror!), when she told me that the kids won't care who the boat is made by. Quality family time looks the same on a Monterey, Crownline, Cobalt, or even a Bayliner.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

All good points. One not mentioned though is resale. There will come a time when you sell or trade your boat. Cobalts will be easier to sell and bring a higher dollar a few years from now, just as they do now. In theory, you do recoup some of your higher upfront cost.

thumpar

Admiral

Thanks. Ultimately my wife made a good point (the horror!), when she told me that the kids won't care who the boat is made by. Quality family time looks the same on a Monterey, Crownline, Cobalt, or even a Bayliner.
Very true. We had a ton of family fun on our old sunrunner in my sig.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Own a 2000 266 BR Crown. SOLID-SOLID boat.

Looked at Cobalts. The Cobalts are even better.

TahoeMac

Recruit

IMHO, Cobalt is the superior brand. After an un-godly amount of research, I searched for a reasonably priced (i.e. cheap)used cobalt and found a 1980 19 foot closed deck for an amount that was, (as my Irish-Catholic friend Joseph would say), a matter for confession!
My research pointed up they (cobalt) are the pinnacle of construction quality and craftsmanship. My boat is incredibly well preserved in spite of its relative lack of attention over the past 6 years. Quality can withstand neglect much better than mediocrity. Additionally, the use of quality materials from suppliers who are considered industry standards (Mercrusier, Volvo penta, etc.) guaranty replacement availability for the long-term as well. When all information is collected and reviewed, Cobalt is the winner hands down.

Last edited: