remove teleflex cable that is stuck in the tilt tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigelmees

Cadet
Im trying to remove the steering cable but I cant remove it from the tilt tube. Ive lubed it up with grease and still no go. Is there something holding it in the tube? I've removed the motor from the boat and teleflex rotates but wont come out or move.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: remove teleflex cable that is stuck in the tilt tube

rust is holding it in the tube. a bit of heat from a heat gun, a bit of kroil or pb blaster, a few 4 and 5 letter words, some hyphenated, a bit of sweat, maybe some blood and it will come out.

Nigelmees

Cadet

Tried blood sweat tears a few choice word and even a 4kg sleage hammer and nearly set the boat alight with a blow torch. Anymore gr8 idaes....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

90%+ of the steering cables will not come out just due to clearance and the engine has to be unbolted and moved to one side. The pressure exerted from the cable itself will keep it stuck.

Not there are drastic measures that people have taken such as cutting the cable end off with an angle grinder or sawsall.

What I would suggest is penetration fluid and continue to hit it from the shaft side. Be certain to use a block of hardwood or a brass punch. If you manage to mushroom the shaft end of the cable from the big mallet it will be near impossible to remove from that direction.

Now lets think ahead ;) One the menacing cable is removed it is recommended that the tilt tube be cleaned out using a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning brush mounted on a long steel rod and spun with a drill. You can also go to a heating supply house and get a 3/4" metal brush on a long wire handle. Use some light oil and that stainless tube should come fairly clean.

You can swear during the entire procedure or say a few prayers......... I honestly tend to do both.

The key is to have a clean tilt tube and light coating of never-seize will hopefully prevent this in the future.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I needed to remove one from a Mercury 90. The engine was off the boat. It took two men. We needed to heat it with a torch while hammering. It moved very slowly and when heat was removed it immediately froze up again. Because of damage to the tilt tube, we needed to remove that too and it was frozen in the yoke and clamps--same story. On the transom, this would be an impossible job.

There is hope, but like said above, It takes a lot of swearing.

Nigelmees

Cadet

Well success I have bark off the knuckles, blisters on the hands but I got it free. Now I got to get a bigger drift as the one I got is too short but im halfway out. The weather here was as hot as hell today and I got there with a can of wd40, a 4lb sledgehammer and removed the engine from the transom and belted the living hell out of it. After 30 min of wacking the hell on and emptying the can of wd40 into it it moved. (To my surprise) only a inch but it started a chain of events that lead to another inch then another. Not bad for a aussie whos never worked on boat before. So hopefully "Meesafloat" will be on the water soon.Thanks for the help

Last edited:

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use my air chisel with an "impact rod" attachment i made. A little penetrating lube, a little heat, and the air chisel knocks those pesky steering rods out of the tilt tube in seconds.

Waz 57

Recruit

I use my air chisel with an "impact rod" attachment i made. A little penetrating lube, a little heat, and the air chisel knocks those pesky steering rods out of the tilt tube in seconds.
My son took out the inner cable but not the cover to the shaft it was cut each side by the previous owner and seeing they are worth so much money I will have to try you method

Attachments

• 270188620_10165705628170704_2941412007959026984_n.jpg
    270188620_10165705628170704_2941412007959026984_n.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 4

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove tilt tube and steering cable from motor.-----Cut the tilt tube off with mini grinder.-----Replace with good used tilt tube.------Very common item in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.