2004 bayliner classic 195

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone, I'm back into the search for a boat and came across this one locally. Haven't looked at it but appears clean from the pics. Guy says the lower portion of outdrive was replaced due to shallow waters and the "fin" beneath the prop getting a chunk taken out, my concern for this was anything else getting messed up from a whack that hard, maybe the transom? Also the carb was replaced because the old one gummed up and needed a rebuilt, just cheaper to install a new one; according to the seller. Are these good boats and is this a fair price for northern Illinois?

thanks in advance.

2004 BAYLINER CLASSIC 195 OPER BOW LIKE NEW

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2004 bayliner classic 195

I've broken my skeg off twice from hitting bottom. Both times it was professionally repaired and neither time did it do any damage to anything else (except the prop). However, these were both rather slow speed hits.
Overall that boat looks to be in really nice condition. The rear bunks on the trailer don't reach the back of the boat. They should extend past the transom a little bit for best support.
In my opinion a that boat will be underpowered with the 3.0 engine, especially if you plan on taking very many people out with you. I would want at least a 4.3 V6 in a boat that size.
Bayliners are a bargain brand, entry level boat. That doesn't mean they can't be a lot of fun. If properly cared for they should serve well. Years ago they had a reputation for terrible construction. I think that has mainly been corrected but the reputation is hard to shake.

agallant80

Commander

New outdrive? From the photos it looks like a new skeg was welded on. Seams like a good boat but it seams that the boat owner is a bit clueless about boats.

superbenk

Commander

A replaced gummed up carb on a 2004 seems odd. That's not that old to require a new carb. A new carb is definitely a lot more money than a rebuild.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

A replaced gummed up carb on a 2004 seems odd. That's not that old to require a new carb. A new carb is definitely a lot more money than a rebuild.

+1^^^ Seems like a clean boat but way overpriced. I would expect to pay a little more than 1/2 that.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

But a lot quicker and easier to replace. No futzing with questionable rebuilds or trying to do it myself if I'm not mechanically inclined. I don't see anything suspicious about it. Agallant80, I could be wrong but from the pics it looks to me like the owner added a skeg guard. Hopefully the owner replaced all the outdrive bellows when he replaced the drive- I'd ask. At 10 years it's time.

I don't live in the OP's area, but I don't think the asking price is completely out of line given that the trailer looks to be in good shape, too. No bottom paint, so it's been kept on the trailer. I'd be negotiating, of course, but I could see paying up to $7K for that rig if it checks out as good as it looks here. I'm willing to pay the price for a well kept, pristine example of something.

My .02

Last edited:

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

New outdrive? From the photos it looks like a new skeg was welded on. Seams like a good boat but it seams that the boat owner is a bit clueless about boats.

That must nebwhatbhappened. He said the marina did a temp fix which was shown in the pics, but he wasn't happy so the whole lower outdrive was replaced

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It appears as if the owner wants to recoup all the money he spent. Overpriced now.

oldjeep

Admiral

+1^^^ Seems like a clean boat but way overpriced. I would expect to pay a little more than 1/2 that.

LOL, keep thinking that. I've got an identical 2005 and it'll sell for 10K

agallant80

Commander

I think that is a crazy notion. Looking at my local CL and some other random areas I see nothing beside Jetskis from the 2000's. True some thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay but I really don't think the seller is out of line asking 7K. At 6K the boat would be a great deal, even with small motor.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Looks well kept,,, but $7K for a 10 year old Bayliner? More like $3K - $4K. He is not talking about a top tier boat... but a bottom tier boat.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

5K maybe.. nice looking boat, that 3.0 will push that fine,, probaby 35ish.. if you want to ski or tube, put a 4 blade on it... 7K is high ......

oldjeep

Admiral

Looks well kept,,, but $7K for a 10 year old Bayliner? More like $3K - $4K. He is not talking about a top tier boat... but a bottom tier boat.

Again, you might want to look around a bit. 3-4K will get you a 20 year old bayliner

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Here's a 2005 w/tower. Not sure what towers go for, but it appears the price of the '04 isn't out of line.... Same motor.

2005 bayliner 195 19ft with tower

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

5K maybe.. nice looking boat, that 3.0 will push that fine,, probaby 35ish.. if you want to ski or tube, put a 4 blade on it... 7K is high ......

Top end is 43MPH with the standard prop

oldjeep

Admiral

Here's a 2005 w/tower. Not sure what towers go for, but it appears the price of the '04 isn't out of line....

2005 bayliner 195 19ft with tower

LOL - my boat

Last edited by a moderator:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

"Top end is 43MPH with the standard prop" nice......... someone said that 3.0 is to small.......I guess speed is relative.........I've got an "under powered" 3.0 pushing my cuddy with a 4 blade.. hop up on plane quick 32gps... I'm more than happy with that... my wife usually say's slow down!!! anyway :cool:

Maclin

Admiral

I just looked at OldJeeps ad to get a comparison of the trailers. OldJeep's looks correct for his boat. The trailer in the OP's pics does not look correct for the boat. The stern tiedowns are first clue, having to run back under the boat to get to a cross member, and not just a little ways either. Also looks like bunks were put on in place of rollers on those floating mounts. I would have to ask a LOT of questions around the history of the trailer choice.

oldjeep

Admiral

You screwed up! You should have kept quiet and you would of had free advertising, now I had to de-link it........:laugh:

Funny guy ;) I guess people will have to search the Minneapolis craigslist on their own.