1984 proline 17' center console any good?

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking into a 1984 proline center console with a 1991 90hp yamaha on it. Looks clean in the pictures. Guy says has a small soft spot on the floor near the console. Other than that, supposedly mostly fresh water use and low hours on the motor. He is the third owner. He's asking $3500 firm. I'm a little concerned about the soft spot. Any common issues or problems with the boat or motor that I need to know about?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984 proline 17' center console any good?

that's a good rig and prolines were well designed and well made mid-level boats. But at that age, condition is more important than brand

a soft spot especially in a fresh water boats is often, but not always, an indicator of more serious stringer rot. Does that model have large removeable deck plates so you can see? not that a seller is going to let you do any testing in the stringers.

One approach is to get it anyway, use it and if it gets worse, replace the hull. Check the transom; that's more important.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

good hull and motor,,,I would wait till spring so you can sea trial it,,however short dollars for a historically reliable tandem package,,any pics?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Any way you look at it, it's a 30 year old hull with structural problems and a 23 year old motor of unknown condition. That "short money" could turn into a money pit in a heart beat.

Last edited:

....a small soft spot on the floor near the console...... He's asking $3500 firm. ....

Not only NO.... but HELL NO!!!! That's way too much money for a 30 year old project boat in need of major repair. It takes a lot of rot for a plywood/fiberglass deck to feel soft, and it's a pretty safe bet that there will be bad stringers and quite likely a bad transom as well.

Last edited:

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sent an email telling the guy I lost interest because of the soft floor and age. I can buy back my 1983 cobia 18' center console with 1986 110hp rude. That has a soft floor but ran great when I sold it for $2000 2 years ago. The guy I sold it to didn't winterize it this year. What should I check before I offer him money?

I can buy back my 1983 cobia 18' center console with 1986 110hp rude. That has a soft floor but ran great when I sold it for $2000 2 years ago.

Dang, what is it with you and problem boats. Have you considered looking for a boat without known issues?

As far as the outboard not getting 'winterized', there's really not much to do for outboards other than tilt it down so water doesn't collect in the prop hub area and freeze.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

NJ only has ethanol ~~ going to need to drain the tank, carbs and get rid of that garbage gas before turning the key.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since Ethanol was mentioned,....... I have heard all the horrors of leaving Ethanol in a gas tank during storage. I store two boats, one in cold, chilly PA and the other in Florida. No problems with either, but, and I mean but,.... I stabilze the fuel with a marine "intended" stabilizer.

OK, back to the original subject, sorry for the intrusion...