Will Detroit 671's fit in trojan f32 flybridge??

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found a deal on a trojan f32 that I'm going pickup tomorrow. Also found a deal on 2 running take outs Detroit 671's. Will these engines fit in this boat or are they wayy too big.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Will Detroit 671's fit in trojan f32 flybridge??

That F32 is probably set up for/with Chrysler 318s. They were common on the older Trojans. If it were an F36 it might have 440s, but that is unlikely on the F32.

All this is to say the engine room, directly under the salon can likely only accommodate a V8 in both length and height. The height of the 671s, combined with the extra length probably won't work. That of course is assuming these are Inline 671s not 6V-71s. If they are 6V-71s, you may get them to fit.

wrench 3

Commander

I can't remember for sure, but I seem to remember that a 6-71 weighed about 1,500 lbs. That would be three ton that you would be putting in there!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I should add that the length is the probably your biggest issue. With the shaft log location and the bulkhead at the front of the engine room you can't just use a shoehorn to get something bigger to fit. Height is also an issue, but that is only limited by what you want to do to modify the floor/sole in the salon. It may be possible to build a couple of benches/doghouses to cover the engines.

BUT, an inline 671 is almost for sure not going to fit in there due to length. A 6V-71 might....might. You will have measure everything very carefully and consider the shaft angle and transmissions you mate the engines to to be sure.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Weight is also a huge issue. But being mid mounted, at least the weight isn't all in the rear.

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just bought it today for $7000. Couldn't pass up the deal. Boats in really good shape. No soft spots anywhere or stress cracks. Motors might be salvageable. One starter just spins. The other doesn't do anything. Said the motors ran when he used it 6 months ago. They are twin FWC crusader 350 carb. Boat is a 1985 motors are 1997. Generator is 1 year old kohler 5kw fuel injected. He paid $6400 to have the generator put in. And while the generator was being done a new head was installed, new a/c system, bottom painted, new anoides, shafts, props, and and full hull buff and wax. This thing was a steal.

The detroits I'm looking at are NA 671's inline 6. For $4000 for both engines and transmissions. They have 2700 hours on them. There's another set of diesels I'm looking at that I really like but they are a bit more at $9000 for the pair. 2 mercruiser 7.3 diesels with 250 hours on them. I love the 7.3's have an excursion with one and it's kill proof.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Is this a straight drive or a V-drive. In 1985, I think they made them both ways.

If it is a V-drive your package space is even worse. Also, why convert to diesel? With that new generator needing gas you would either have to replace that or come up with a way to carry 2 fuel sources....not fun.

Seems like for the cost of a couple rebuilt 350s you could be on the water and burn a LOT of gas before you would come anywhere close to breaking even on converting to diesel.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

As much of a fan of diesel as I am I second the logic on staying with gas. The 350's are cheap, if you want more go to 383 or even look at 502's. The added weight of a set of 6-71 or even the 7.3 may offset the performance gains.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

OR for that matter the engines in it are newer and said to be running 6 mo ago... hard to imagine someone spending big money for genny, head, and A/C if the engines weren't in good shape .... probably at least a fair chance they'll be GTG with a little tlc

Last edited:

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is this a straight drive or a V-drive. In 1985, I think they made them both ways.

If it is a V-drive your package space is even worse. Also, why convert to diesel? With that new generator needing gas you would either have to replace that or come up with a way to carry 2 fuel sources....not fun.

Seems like for the cost of a couple rebuilt 350s you could be on the water and burn a LOT of gas before you would come anywhere close to breaking even on converting to diesel.

This is a straight inboard boat.

Convert to diesel? If I can get a set of diesels for less than 10 grand why not? Fuel injection, better fuel economy, more reliable. Not looking for a speed boat. Would like to cruise between 14-17 mph. Just want to use this boat for close offshore fishing, cruising up and down the coast, a camp while duck hunting in the marsh.

As for going with larger gas engines I'm not look for speed. And why would i wanna spend a ton of money on 502's which are very difficult to find in a twin setup just to burn 3 times the fuel.

As for the generator sell it. I'm sure it's worth at least 3-4 grand. Throw a westerbeake in there they are a dime a dozen.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well since you bought the boat and it sounds like your set on the diesel, it's time for the tape measure.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Convert to diesel? If I can get a set of diesels for less than 10 grand why not?

10 grand buys a heck of a lot of gas. You may get those 350s running, tuned up and ready to go for a couple hundred bucks.

By the time you buy the diesels, change over the entire fuel system, modify/fabricate all the required mounting hardware and actually get the boat in the water.....never mind. Seems you made up your mind.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I found a deal on a trojan f32 that I'm going pickup tomorrow. Also found a deal on 2 running take outs Detroit 671's. Will these engines fit in this boat or are they wayy too big.

Madman, In 1972 and maybe a few years after Trojan had a serious problem with the f-32 I will explain as best as I can. We owned a f-25 then an f-26 then a f-28 and then we were going to buy a f-32.
We had a surveyor named Paul Flarety, who was the best in Michigan and he walked right up to the boat and said this is the first thing that we need to check.

Under the port engine he scraped the bottom paint off and there was a small crack, he then told us that Trojan would fix this problem as it was an engineering defect, we passed on the boat. What happened was that when under rough seas the crack could get so bad that the engine would fall thru the hull and sink the boat.

If I'm not mistaken when the boat was new a couple of salesmen were running one to a boat show and they died due to this failure with the boat sinking, that was a long time ago and the details are a little fuzzy but I think they are correct.

Please, please have a competent surveyor read this and check the bottom in the area that I mentioned, I think it was called the chine under the engine on the bottom of boat.
The f-32 in my opinion is the most beautiful boat on the market, good luck.

You can pm me if needed.

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class

10 grand buys a heck of a lot of gas. You may get those 350s running, tuned up and ready to go for a couple hundred bucks.

By the time you buy the diesels, change over the entire fuel system, modify/fabricate all the required mounting hardware and actually get the boat in the water.....never mind. Seems you made up your mind.

If I can get the 350's running ill stick with them till they blow up. But if they are junk and a diesel option is available then why not spend an extra few thousand $$ to go diesel?

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Madman, In 1972 and maybe a few years after Trojan had a serious problem with the f-32 I will explain as best as I can. We owned a f-25 then an f-26 then a f-28 and then we were going to buy a f-32.
We had a surveyor named Paul Flarety, who was the best in Michigan and he walked right up to the boat and said this is the first thing that we need to check.

Under the port engine he scraped the bottom paint off and there was a small crack, he then told us that Trojan would fix this problem as it was an engineering defect, we passed on the boat. What happened was that when under rough seas the crack could get so bad that the engine would fall thru the hull and sink the boat.

If I'm not mistaken when the boat was new a couple of salesmen were running one to a boat show and they died due to this failure with the boat sinking, that was a long time ago and the details are a little fuzzy but I think they are correct.

Please, please have a competent surveyor read this and check the bottom in the area that I mentioned, I think it was called the chine under the engine on the bottom of boat.
The f-32 in my opinion is the most beautiful boat on the market, good luck.

You can pm me if needed.

If that was the case my father and his friends were damn lucky. He had a 1979 f32 flybridge that had twin 350's that he had modified for more power way back in the day. He's told me stories about running that boat with his buds down the river not slowing down for any of the oil tanker waves and going offshore fishing knowing there was going to be bad weather on the way back in. Told me that boat would run in any weather waves crashing on top of the bow and rushing up the windshield. He said he would have kept the boat if he didn't run into a well head in east bay and sink the boat.

My father and I checked this boat out really well. Looked for rot everywhere. This thing is solid. I will check for the crack under the paint when I get it hauled out to check it out and get an insurance appraisal on it. Thanks for the tip. I really think these engines are not locked up. Throw a starter on them and some elbow grease and we will see what happeneds.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

ANDERSON v. WHITTAKER CORP. | Leagle.com

This roused my curiosity, and I searched and searched. Finally found the lawsuit that lakegeorge refers to. Had nothing to do with any alleged hull fracture, but with a recall/redesign Trojan had initiated to redesign the engine room air vents, which were prone to scoop up water in a heavy sea. If the stern bilge pump is undersized or inoperative, the boat could conceivably take on enough to sink. The plaintiffs argued that this 'probably' contributed to the loss of the boat, while Trojan countered that there was evidence that the stern bilge pump had been removed. Court found in favor of the victims' families.

Not that any boat that size shouldn't be surveyed (it should) but I found no mention anywhere (aside from lakegeorge's post) of a hull defect. What I DID see were a couple of mentions of the boat handling very badly (severe bow steer) if weight is concentrated too far forward. One of those items specifically mentioned problems encountered with heavy diesels in the boat.

Last edited:

lakegeorge

ANDERSON v. WHITTAKER CORP. | Leagle.com

This roused my curiosity, and I searched and searched. Finally found the lawsuit that lakegeorge refers to. Had nothing to do with any alleged hull fracture, but with a recall/redesign Trojan had initiated to redesign the engine room air vents, which were prone to scoop up water in a heavy sea. If the stern bilge pump is undersized or inoperative, the boat could conceivably take on enough to sink. The plaintiffs argued that this 'probably' contributed to the loss of the boat, while Trojan countered that there was evidence that the stern bilge pump had been removed. Court found in favor of the victims' families.

Not that any boat that size shouldn't be surveyed (it should) but I found no mention anywhere (aside from lakegeorge's post) of a hull defect. What I DID see were a couple of mentions of the boat handling very badly (severe bow steer) if weight is concentrated too far forward. One of those items specifically mentioned problems encountered with heavy diesels in the boat.

PLEASE, don't mislead madman, the accident happened on Lake Erie and I believe they were running to the Metropolitan Beach in the water boat show. It had nothing to do with what you are talking about.

I would try researching the Detroit news and a Toledo paper as that's where I think they were coming from. The crack was on the port stringer or whatever it's called under the hull.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Not trying to mislead anyone. I've searched numerous combinations on google and that is the ONLY such incident I've found involving a Trojan F-32. Happened crossing Lake Michigan in 1980. All 4 aboard drowned.

I'm not saying what you wrote didn't happen, but I can't find any record of it. I DID find a few references to the air intake issue/lawsuit on other boating forums, but not a single mention of a F-32 structural defect. You know the background, so you should be able to find the documentation to support your claim.

Last edited:

lakegeorge

Not trying to mislead anyone. I've searched numerous combinations on google and that is the ONLY such incident I've found involving a Trojan F-32. Happened crossing Lake Michigan in 1980. All 4 aboard drowned.

I'm not saying what you wrote didn't happen, but I can't find any record of it. I DID find a few references to the air intake issue/lawsuit on other boating forums, but not a single mention of a F-32 structural defect. You know the background, so you should be able to find the documentation to support your claim.

This happened 32 years ago so I seriously doubt that I can find any back round, nor do I want to. I'm just stating what I know to be a fact and could care less what in the hell you think.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

This happened 32 years ago so I seriously doubt that I can find any back round, nor do I want to. I'm just stating what I know to be a fact and could care less what in the hell you think.

A little over the top here.... He specifically STATED that he is NOT saying you are wrong.... He only posted the info he found... No reason at all for you to get nasty.