Boat Shopping - Monterey 234 FS vs Chaparral 236 SSI

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've found two more boats that I'm interested in, and again looking for feedback. Par for the course, they are both about 4 hours from me.......in different directions.:(

2006 Monterey 234 FS - Volvo 280 HP 5.7Gi with DP drive, 165 hours, matching trailer, bimini top, snap on mooring and full storage cover, head compartment, one owner, full service records, looks to be very well taken care of.

2005 Chaparral 236 SSI - Merc 260 HP 5.0MPI with Bravo 3 dual prop drive, 296 hours, matching trailer, bimini top, snap on mooring and full storage cover, one owner, looks to be very well taken care of.

So both are one owner boats that by the pictures and descriptions look to be in excellent condition and well maintained. Both are nearly the same price. While I like the large head compartment, bigger Volvo engine, and low hours of the Monterey, I'm leaning towards the Chaparral for its slightly bigger size, better seating configuration, and reputation for high quality construction. It's also a dead sexy looking boat, which is always a factor.:)

Primary use is tubing with kids 3/6/9, lots of swimming, and hopefully some wakeboarding this year with my 9 year old. So which would you prefer, and why?

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Boat Shopping - Monterey 234 FS vs Chaparral 236 SSI

I had a plan to go into deep detail about why I would recommend the Monterey. But after re reading your comments about the Chap, I think it would be a waste of time.
So, in short. I would choose the Monterey based on my many years in the marine business, having owned two Monterey boats myself. Plus it has the larger engine, which you WILL need in that size boat. Quality between the two brands is a dead heat. FYI, there is no such thing as a Bravo 2 duo prop. It has to be a Bravo III if it is a duo prop. Take a look at them both, and let me know where this "high quality construction" is on the Chap, and where it is NOT on the Monterey. I already said too much. Enjoy your new Chap....

Last edited:

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a plan to go into deep detail about why I would recommend the Monterey. But after re reading your comments about the Chap, I think it would be a waste of time.
So, in short. I would choose the Monterey based on my many years in the marine business, having owned two Monterey boats myself. Plus it has the larger engine, which you WILL need in that size boat. Quality between the two brands is a dead heat. FYI, there is no such thing as a Bravo 2 duo prop. It has to be a Bravo III if it is a duo prop. Take a look at them both, and let me know where this "high quality construction" is on the Chap, and where it is NOT on the Monterey. I already said too much. Enjoy your new Chap....

"I know a lot about boats, but I'm not going to tell you" - nice reply.

I posted here asking for information and opinions because I can't easily compare these boats back to back, and there are many folks on here with more boating knowledge and experience than I. If you'd like to provide some detail then I'd greatly appreciate it. Had I already made up my mind, I wouldn't have posted this thread. If you'd like to be condescending then please post on another thread. By the way Bravo 2 was a typo, 2 is next to 3 on the keyboard after all. If I were so motivated, I could point out lots of them in your post as well.

jkust

Rear Admiral

This is a great problem to have. Here is why I personally would pick the Monterey even though I've owned a chap for the better part of a decade. The 236 Chap is just a larger version of my boat as unlike many builders Chap builds them the same no matter the size. For me the Monterey would be a nice change of scenery. The big one though is the bigger engine and the larger amount of torque on the Monterey. That same 5.0 in that much larger Chap is the same as the optional engine on my tiny little 18 foot Chap. I can't believe it was even available on the 236. Thus the larger engine of the Monterey would help me with the decision.

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine and the hours are definitely my biggest knock on the Chaparral in comparison to the Monterey. I'm a car guy, so the "too much HP is just right" philosophy definitely resonates. Though on the flip side, I don't exactly need a 454 to pull a 9 year old on a tube either.

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

"I know a lot about boats, but I'm not going to tell you" - nice reply.

I posted here asking for information and opinions because I can't easily compare these boats back to back, and there are many folks on here with more boating knowledge and experience than I. If you'd like to provide some detail then I'd greatly appreciate it. Had I already made up my mind, I wouldn't have posted this thread. If you'd like to be condescending then please post on another thread. By the way Bravo 2 was a typo, 2 is next to 3 on the keyboard after all. If I were so motivated, I could point out lots of them in your post as well.

Feel free to point out anything in error in my post .

BTW, nice looking Monty.
00l0l_jznaMmfUy8l_600x450.jpg

And nice looking Chap
00d0d_3AXCsT9glX0_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your total lack of contribution. Now please go be smug somewhere else.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Yes sir, As you wish.

Last edited:

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone have any input on either of these boats? First hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

phiny1134

Cadet

If both boats have been cared for as well as you described, you probably can't go wrong either way. With that said though, for me a 5.7 with 165 hours is an easy pick over a 5.0 with 296 hours. Good luck in your boat purchase quest!

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The low hours definitely don't hurt. As of this morning the Chap owner isn't willing to budge on price and the Monterey owner still owes me more pictures. Assuming that the Monterey looks as nice as he describes it, I may be making a road trip soon.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That Chap is a big boat to push with a 5.0. All else being equal I'd take the Monterey with the 5.7. The kids are 3, 6 and 9 now but in a few years they will be teens who want to bring friends and you may well be pulling 2 or 3 tubes with 2 or 3 kids per tube. At least that's what happened to me.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Those engines have pretty big torque differences. If I'm laying the cash down, I'm getting the bigger of the two engines or continuing to shop to find the more preferred boat with the bigger engine. When I bought my Chap, there was no available boat that was close to the design, layout, sheer quality of materials and dry weight plus the little extras...except Monterey (Cobalt exited the small market a year earlier). Plenty of choice in bigger boats where they compete only at the margins but the guys who make nice, larger boats mostly made crappy smaller boats by comparison except Chap and a short list of others. Fast forward to today and that isn't the case any longer.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Pretty close to a coin toss in my opinion. Ideally, i would prefer the Chap with the Montereys drive, but obviously that cant happen. I dont think the 20 HP difference is a deal breaker or maker either way. The Merc is fuel injected, the Volvo is not, fuel injected is a litter easier to start and little better on fuel usage, but more expensive when things need fixed. If you cant go personally inspect both, get as much info and pics as you can.

Other than visual appeal, it should boil down to condition and bottom dollar.

tpenfield

Staff member

If the Chap had a 5.7, then that would be my choice . But since the Monty has the bigger engine, that might be the way to go.

keep in mind that you may want to upgrade in a few years, and a boat with a bigger engine is an easier sell.

Last edited:

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Hard to argue with any of that.

Slip Away, you spent the time to search out both of the boats that I am interested in, yet don't have the time to provide any feedback? I don't get it....

DrDecay

Cadet
Did you make a decision? I own a 2005 Chap w/5.0 Volvo Duoprop. It IS fuel injected. Someone above said it wasn't. The 5.0 actually has plenty of snap and torque. I am very pleased with its performance. Fine for tubing and skiing/wakeboarding.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
+5 to the larger powerplant, all else being equal. These are larger craft, you'll always appreciate the 5.7L regardless of use, especially when loaded with passengers, gear, beer, and gas.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
This is a 6 month old thread......... He bought a boat over 3 months ago......
BF681D2D-D15D-4ECC-92BF-365A02A18386_zpsj8xzw4i2.jpg

Last edited: