Nauticus Smart Tabs

?ommon?ents_

Cadet
Anyone have these installed on their boat? Where they worth it? Notable improvements in any way? I've thought about them, but would love some input from actual users. Thanks guys

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Nauticus Smart Tabs

Yo ?ommon?ents, do a search on this site on that subject and get ready for a long list of posts, very common "thread", good info available.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Product - great.
Customer service - great.

Hundreds of members have purchased them.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Basically what you'll find will be thousands of posts praising them as the best thing since sliced bread, a few hundred posts from people who have never used them claiming that a foil on the lower unit is as good or better, a few dozen posts from people who either boat in the ocean or for other reasons (such as my boat being too big for smart tabs) much prefer helm adjustable tabs for much more money, and 1 poor lone guy who wasn't completely satisfied with the tabs but IMHO was expecting more from them than anything short of a bigger / more modern boat could deliver.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Basically what you'll find will be thousands of posts praising them as the best thing since sliced bread, a few hundred posts from people who have never used them claiming that a foil on the lower unit is as good or better, a few dozen posts from people who either boat in the ocean or for other reasons (such as my boat being too big for smart tabs) much prefer helm adjustable tabs for much more money, and 1 poor lone guy who wasn't completely satisfied with the tabs but IMHO was expecting more from them than anything short of a bigger / more modern boat could deliver.

excellent summary.

?ommon?ents_

Cadet

Thanks so much guys. These would be on my 17' bowrider, needless to say I think im sold! I had done a search prior to posting, but got a lot of random posts. I refined using advanced search and found so much info. I also googled them and found Carolina Skiff offers them as a factory installed option. That's proof enough they are not a gimmick! I wish there some good before and after videos out there, but really couldn't find any. Maybe I'll make that part of this install. If I make a video that is worth sharing I'll let you guys know.

Maclin

Admiral

Good deal. I was wanting you to see the background that backs up Smoke's summary then come back with your decision.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those that have them usually love them and exaggerate their positive effects. Those that have them and hate them probably have a problem they would not fix so consider them "snake oil". If you don't have an issue with the way your boats operates without them they will not miraculously improve the performance. If you have a specific issue you are trying to solve or improve upon do your research and see what you think. I personally automatically put them on a boat as soon as I buy it. This is probably a waste of money sometimes but it makes me feel special to have them :) I always wish I had helm adjustable ones but I am to cheap to invest in those.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have them on my Q5 and they have been great and do exactly what i wanted them to do, the thing i love the most about them is the way the boat handles the corners, trimmed up for speed before i would always have to trim down or it would cavitate, now it just hooks up, trimmed up or down she corners like you wouldn't believe, i say get them, im happy i did

?ommon?ents_

Cadet

I know there is a ton already posted on these things, but hearing all of this from you guys helps a lot. Just found them on amazon for $115. Free shipping too.

Maclin

Admiral

Follow thru on the tuning, and do not be shy about contacting Nauticus for tech support, they expect it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Don't waste your money yet. It is a new boat to you. You have no idea of handling or performance until you have seat time.

Spend money on needed items first such as bumpers, new PFD's, maybe new trailer bearings, new impeller........ those are all items that are "needed".

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

For the size and weight of your boat they should help if help is needed. For bigger/heavier boats, especially in big water, helm adjustable is the way to go.

?ommon?ents_

Cadet

Bob-vt

I agree 100% with what you said. I was actually grabbing stuff before I found the boat. I'm also going to the Providence boat show this weekend looking for bargains on little things. I have a "priority list" for my items that also lists lowest prices I've found. My buddies laugh, but I get more for less as a rule. I'm gonna buy the tabs on amazon knowing that if I choose to go without I can get my money back on eBay. I've seen your posts all over, you definitely know much more than me. I appreciate your two cents. I'll keep you posted as I go. None of my friends have boats round here anymore. You guys are collectively becoming my voice of reason.