Starcraft 210 scx ob crossover , how will it handle ocean use?..

Brad1212

Recruit
:)Hi, I have been boating for 15 years, I have always had fishing boats. Currently I have sea fox and love it. I was at a boat show and the guys who I have bought boats from show me the new star craft, it has the comfort of a deckboat but the front of a bow rider, it also has a outboard engine. I have been told that it can do more than intercostal cruising, but I am nervous as this is a newer model. Does anyone have any advise on how this boat will perform on the ocean? Thanks

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Starcraft 210 scx ob crossover , how will it handle ocean use?..

It's not a blue water boat. It's made for inland lakes and rivers. Keep looking if you want something for the ocean.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I'd be nervous too if considering taking it on the ocean too. Hey~~ I've seen pontoons out 3 miles,,, people do silly things.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I doubt it has a self bailing deck so any wave taken over the bow has the potential to swamp the boat in a hurry. I would be scared to take it in ocean too, but that's just me.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for one thing "ocean" can mean many different things depending on where you start from, how far you go and how quickly you can get back to sheltered water--which is NOT the same as "shore." I can cruise along a mile from shore but have 60 miles between inlets.

Some ocean water is relatively smooth even with big swells; they are easier to handle than chop in a shallow open bay. Some have crazy currents and some don't. Some inlets or other access are easy; some are dangerous; many switch from one to the other without warning.

The skill of the captain is almost as important as the design of the boat; with your experience you should know your limitations.

I had the old starcraft alum 16' bowrider growing up and took it out in all kinds of rough conditions no different from oceans, but it had a design far superior to the bayliner-type bow rider which are simply not seaworthy, as slip-away noted. So for this one you would want to examine the design to determine if it would work for you (if you feel comfortable doing so) or, as you asked, try to find someone with first hand knowledge, then see whether they are using the boat in the same waters as you are.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

OCEAN, SMOCEAN. Does this boat look like it's made for off shore use ?
run_starcraft%20scx%20210%20with%20yamaha_18.jpg

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's a lake boat. Worse than the possible mishap such as swamping or rolling, you would embarass yourself to death if you took that out to the light tower for some tuna and dolphin fishing.

it reminds me of those crazy looking tennis shoes they wear nowadays.

Brad1212

Recruit

Crazy enough I just took it for a test drive, great on the intra coastal, and actually less bounce than my Sea Fox in 1 to 3 feet. we are not intending on fishing with this boat , just enjoying an ocean ride in light to moderate chop and to do some snorkeling. Boating magazine says this is one of the top sellers in coastal waters in particular South Florida where we live.
Have any of you actually driven this model?
I know we all love our fishing boats me as well, but for my family who has no interest in fishing, can anyone recommend a boat that may suite us a little better for what we are intending on using it for... Thanks

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I know we all love our fishing boats me as well, but for my family who has no interest in fishing, can anyone recommend a boat that may suite us a little better for what we are intending on using it for... Thanks

gallery_0_2303486267.jpg

217 Blackfin. It will do both fishing, cruising and watersports better.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Sea Hunt ultra.
Avoid boats filled up with padded sofas and lounge chairs and go for open space and room, plus easy in/out from the water.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Sea Hunt ultra.
Avoid boats filled up with padded sofas and lounge chairs and go for open space and room, plus easy in/out from the water.

He has a Sea Fox with out La-Z-Boy already, looking for cushy comfort and bow seating as well as an outboard. Thus my suggestion.....

Slip Away

Lieutenant

btg0214_mt3_monterey_1.jpg

The 217 boasts a deep-seating configuration. This makes for a spray-free ride and keeps families feeling safe in big water. There are dual boarding ladders, and the unique “wraparound” swim platform is a really neat feature.

Who'd Want One: Boaters seeking an outboard-powered boat that meets the needs of family boating in fine style.

Bowrider Boat Reviews: Monterey 217 Blackfin | Boating Magazine

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I would not think an open bow for ocean use a prudent choice.. Slip away 's (pic) above,,, that would do nicely on the ocean under "nice conditions",, heavy bow- cuddy type.. I've had an open bow, wave over the bow can be harsh..or sink your boat, my 20ft cuddy is by no means is big,, but on the ocean under "normal conditions" I would not be terribly concerned taking it out there...