Replacing steering cable

Howdy!

I am in the midst of replacing the Telex cable for my 84 Proline. It appears to be original. So far so good but I have a question regarding the helm. In the picture you will see two nuts and three screws. I have loosened the nuts but the housing doesn't budge. Do you think I should remove the screws? Or loosen? It doesn't seem right to me. I did that once with a retractable starter cord on a lawn mower and the results were not pretty...boing! Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Stevehelm1.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing steering cable

You will not do any damage removing the backplate, but in that model it is not necessary. I think one of those nuts and bolts holds the cable in. Remove it then simply pull out the cable, I don't think there is a stop. You may not be able to get a matching cable because all the newer models have a different attachment to the helm.

At any rate, a complete helm and cable assembly is not that much more expensive than a cable alone so you probably would be better off going all new.

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

You will not do any damage removing the backplate, but in that model it is not necessary. I think one of those nuts and bolts holds the cable in. Remove it then simply pull out the cable, I don't think there is a stop. You may not be able to get a matching cable because all the newer models have a different attachment to the helm.

At any rate, a complete helm and cable assembly is not that much more expensive than a cable alone so you probably would be better off going all new.

What he said! replace the helm assembly as it is not much more and actually may be an easier install.

Actually I have an older helm, pix--in good shape--and it should work(?). I could buy a new helm it looks like the old one.

h1.jpg
h2.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the newer cables do plug into that helm. There is also a clip that is pushed into the small hole to release the cable I forget exactly where it goes to lock the cable in though. A grease shield tube with a threaded female end screws over the other side to protect under the dash and your legs from the greasy cable.

Last edited:

Got it. Thanks Frank. If there is an issue with it I will purchase a new helm. Both of you are correct...replace the entire assembly. I wish I had asked before I bought the cable but this should work out fine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Some helms do not have a clip........just keep turning the wheel and tug on the cable and it comes out. They make the cable longer then necessary to accommodate that feature.

I do suggest if the helm is old enough for the cable to go bad then in my opinion.....yes it is time to replace the entire thing and a good excuse for a new steering wheel too ;)

Hey guys! Back again.

I found a Teleflex cable (original) for about $100 but then I saw this:

Teleflex 16' 3300 Universal Control Cable for $21. The description says, Teleflex 3300 Universal Control Cables are suitable for most applications for I/Os, inboards and outboards. Fit most engines, including Mariner (40 hp and below), Yamaha, Volvo, Suzuki, Tohatsu, Honda, Nissan and Chrysler/Force.

These cables use a stainless steel lubri-core wire for smooth operation and long life. They have stainless steel core wire/brass fittings with a 10-32 UNF threads. Nominal 3 inch travel. 6 inch minimum bend radius.

Obviously I'd rather spend 21 than 100 but I am not so sure this is what I think it is. I sent a note to the seller but in the meantime what's your opinion?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I guess they did not show a photo. 3300 is a Teleflex universal CONTROL cable , not steering. It will not work.

Hi Frank. Yeah the picture isn't really much of a picture. Thanks for the input!

Good grief. This is getting worse. One would think replacing a steering cable would not be such a big deal. I told the first vendor what I had and he said, "Oh. A 13' will work fine." So when I got the part it was 3' short. Of course he will take it back but I pay shipping. GRRRR. Anyhow, I looked for another replacement. I found a Teleflex SSC6116 thinking this will work. It's a steering cable. So this time I sent the NEW vendor my part number... Morse E304411 192IN 3215. He replies, "No, that won't work. Teleflex is showing the direct replacement cable being a SSC5216, which we no longer offer." Great...now what?

Curiouser and curiouser said the rabbit.

So here is the deal. The new vendor asked what OB I had. It's a Yamaha F115A. He said I needed the SSC5216 steering cable if I can find one and if not I need the NFB Safe-T II Mechanical Rotary Steering System which includes a new steering cable.

I have a NEW Safe-T Single Quick Connect Rotary Steering System but it is NOT NFB. On the other side of the coin however I have read that under 150HP one really does not need the NFB system. So I am thinking my current NEW Safe-T helm system with a 16' cable should be fine.

Your thoughts?

64osby

Admiral

If you can find the cable for the new unit go with it. But if you need to get a whole system a NFB is awesome.

I was one of the Teleflex / iboats give away winners 2 years ago and installed the Xtreme NFB system. No more prop steer and smooth, it truly changed the feel of operating the boat.

I with you 64osby. This process has been a real education! I have the basic Safe-T Single Quick Connect Rotary Steering System with a new cable now. It's a long story but the short of it is if I were to do this again I would go with NFB. Unfortunately I am knee deep in what I have bought so I will stick with it.