Carolina Skiff - 2013 Funchaser - Dissatisfied Buyer/Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Carolina Skiff - 2013 Funchaser - Dissatisfied Buyer/Owner

seems like that's what your lawyer is for. File the suit; it's obvious they aren't going to do anything otherwise but dance you down the road.

gmarktho

Seaman

Still amazing how "the it always seems to be someone else" that needs to address my issues. Spoke to warranty manager at Carolina Skiff who shared that I would receive a call from the CS Rep that made engine recommendation at the AC Boat Show. Made my third call to CS this week and will continue to do so until I get to talk to the right person about working to address my challenge...................

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

File the suit.

The "engine issue" from the boat show was that it was too small. But that isn't what caused it to flood (the real problem); in fact the opposite since a bigger motor, weighing more, would have sunk even lower.

I can assure you that even if the rep "recommended" a smaller motor, you made the decision and there is no legal recourse against the seller--and it is painfully obvious that CS isn't going to step up and volunteer anything to correct that.

You're being played. Get in control.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

The "rep" may offer you a Suzuki motor to replace the E-Tec in hopes of resolving the issue. If so, that may just be a Band-Aid.

gmarktho

Seaman

You are right..................

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe CS does not know how to read a calendar or thermometer??

NYBo

Admiral

The "rep" may offer you a Suzuki motor to replace the E-Tec in hopes of resolving the issue. If so, that may just be a Band-Aid.
Why would this help solve the problem, and if by some chance it did, why would it be just a "Band-Aid"?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

A lighter weight motor may help keep it from sinking again until the warranty is up??

Why would this help solve the problem, and if by some chance it did, why would it be just a "Band-Aid"?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

This is really disappointing and not consistent with the kind of company I always thought CS to be. Six pages and over 5000 views on iboats alone. They need to consider carefully the impact this situation is having on their name. Better wake up, CS. This is how good companies die.

frogfriend

Cadet

The VP-Sales stopped returning my calls last fall which is when I changed tactics. Even if you do talk to him, neither he nor the Warranty Manager have the authority to make the type of compensation we are seeking. And if they did, their lawyers wouldn't let them do anything that could be seen as admitting fault. The next steps with the boating consumer protection group I am working with should move forward next month, but I have no idea how quickly that will proceed or if it will be successful. After that I'll have to go the lawyer route myself. Meanwhile this summer it will be kayaking and bumming rides with my boating friends.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

The way this problem has NOT been handled I'd not consider CS a "good company" but one riding in the past.
This is really disappointing and not consistent with the kind of company I always thought CS to be. Six pages and over 5000 views on iboats alone. They need to consider carefully the impact this situation is having on their name. Better wake up, CS. This is how good companies die.

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am curious to know where this stands....everything seems to have ground to a halt!

Slip Away

Lieutenant
No reports from the "owners" since CS apparently modified his hull to take care of the issue, and was working on a larger engine to offer him.
Seems odd that it was such a big deal to let the world know how CS was handling this apparent issue, but 3 months goes by and it goes silent.

frogfriend

Cadet
I’ve been working with a boaters association for a while now, and they decided to revive their mediation program involving themselves, a manufacturers association and Carolina Skiff to try to work out a solution. I think the fact that the associations are willing to pursue this says that we have a strong case. Unfortunately, Carolina Skiff must think so too, because they aren’t returning calls to the manufacturer’s association representative. So they are going to keep trying.

I’m not sure what is up with gmarktho. In the last e-mails I had from him a couple of months ago, he said he had a call from Carolina Skiff saying they wanted to discuss numbers. Since then he has gone silent. I think he reached a deal, but part of the agreement was he couldn’t tell anybody about it. If that’s true, both sides should be ashamed. There are a number of us who have done little or no boating this year because we were sold motors that just aren’t powerful enough for the boat. I’m frustrated beyond believe, but at $15k for the larger motor, I just can’t do it. I need Carolina Skiff to step up, but that just isn’t likely. A lawsuit is still a possibility, but that will take years to settle, so it’s a last resort.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I salute you. You have far more patience with this situation than I would have had.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Complete silence seems odd. You hear all the time in matters such as this that ..."the parties have reached a settlement the details of which will remain confidential.." or some lawyerly speak to that effect. Surely folks could at least post that? Anyway, best of luck to you all. It's a shame when families are caught up in these messes when all anyone wants is some good times on the water. It does reinforce in my mind my two top rules of boat buying. 1. Always do a sea trial. 2. See rule No 1. I took an airplane ride then rented a truck and drove two hours just to see, hear, touch, and smell my boat in the water and under way before I let go one red cent on her. All I knew prior to that was the builders good and that she was a pretty little thing that appeared to meet all my criteria- on paper anyway. Wasn't sorry I did as it confirmed in three dimensions that she was suitable for the intended mission. BTW - I been hammered but good on dog car purchases so don't mean to sound holier than thou. :). Ps - sorry for the run on paragraph. Can't seem to insert line spaces when posting from my ipad even tho they appear as I type.....?

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Complete silence is odd. I had a major issue with the paint on my new boat peeling. The manufacturer stepped up and shipped the boat back to the factory for a complete repaint and even installed a new sound system. The only thing they asked of me was to complete my thread. They didn't tell me what to say or anything else. Of course I said that Starcraft handled this major issue and that I was now completely happy.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Complete silence is odd. I had a major issue with the paint on my new boat peeling. The manufacturer stepped up and shipped the boat back to the factory for a complete repaint and even installed a new sound system. The only thing they asked of me was to complete my thread. They didn't tell me what to say or anything else. Of course I said that Starcraft handled this major issue and that I was now completely happy.
Interesting richo - so they knew you had "gone public" on the issue? I recall your problem from a while back. Glad it worked out. Starcraft is a name I'd hate to decide was to be avoided so good on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.