Carolina Skiff - 2013 Funchaser - Dissatisfied Buyer/Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmarktho

Seaman
At the 2013 AC Boat Show bought a 2013 Carolina Skiff Funchaser Pontoon Boat with 115 Evinrude. This was the first year for this extension of the Carolina Skiff product line. Since picking up the boat I have had nothing but trouble with this boat. The set up (motor and boat) displayed at the boat show is what I bought since it was displayed and recommended (the display model had a 90 hp) Problems: (1) Experienced water intrusion because of the design of the boat which caused the engine to run inconsistency (4200 rpm, then to 3000 rpm then to 1500 rpm's) w/o touching the throttle and required a new powerhead (2) boat is under powered. We keep the boat in Chincoteague VA and because of the problems had to trailer the boat back to Tuckerton, NJ on 4 occasions. We also took the boat to 2 Evinrude dealers in MD. The boat is now back at the manufacture who shared that they had brought back all of the these boats so there must be a problem. I have spoken with the folks at Carolina Skiff, including the President, about my frustrations. Unfortunately I feel that this line extension for Carolina Skill is "a lemon."
Question: Are there any other Funchaser boat owners on iboats.com having similar problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Carolina Skiff - 2013 Funchaser - Dissatisfied Buyer/Owner

At the 2013 AC Boat Show bought a 2013 Carolina Skiff Funchaser Pontoon Boat with 115 Evinrude. This was the first year for this extension of the Carolina Skiff product line. Since picking up the boat I have had nothing but trouble with this boat. The set up (motor and boat) displayed at the boat show is what I bought since it was displayed and recommended (the display model had a 90 hp) Problems: (1) Experienced water intrusion because of the design of the boat which caused the engine to run inconsistency (4200 rpm, then to 3000 rpm then to 1500 rpm's) w/o touching the throttle and required a new powerhead (2) boat is under powered. We keep the boat in Chincoteague VA and because of the problems had to trailer the boat back to Tuckerton, NJ on 4 occasions. We also took the boat to 2 Evinrude dealers in MD. The boat is now back at the manufacture who shared that they had brought back all of the these boats so there must be a problem. I have spoken with the folks at Carolina Skiff, including the President, about my frustrations. Unfortunately I feel that this line extension for Carolina Skill is "a lemon."
Question: Are there any other Funchaser boat owners on iboats.com having similar problems?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... So what did the president of the company tell ya,..??

Have ya been offered a refund,..??

What's their proposed course of action,..??

It sounds, so far, that the company is acknowledged the issue, 'n is tryin' to work with ya,...

If so,.... just what grounds will you seek legal actions,..??

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That often happens with a brand new any thing, and so far it sounds like motor problems and nut the boat its self.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I'm having a hard time understand the problem. So to make sure I have it right:

The boat took on enough water due to a design flaw that the added weight prevented the motor from reaching it's recommended WOT RPM range this cause the power head to fail on your motor? Is that correct?

If so I would be pretty pissed.

Do you think the poor performance is due to it taking on water? When I look at the published performance reports they got almost 37 MPH with a 150 4 stroke so I wouldn't think your 115 Etec would be that far behind. The tests can be found here: Pontoon Boat | Fiberglass Pontoon Boat | Fun Chaser pontoon boats by Carolina Skiff

What kind of numbers were you seeing?

I'm guessing they are trying to make it right for you. Carolina Skiff has a good reputation so I think they will it just sucks to be in your situation and not have your new boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

agree with the comment that first year anything is risky.

I don't see how hull design can affect RPM the way you describe, unless it goes from cavitating to digging and lugging. If it's a motor problem it's not the boat manufacturer's fault (although it may be his responsibility.)

Pontoons are a bad design for Chincoteague. Maybe the adverse conditions affect performance. Pontoons belong on calm lakes (FTR I've been boating the ESVA seaside about 20 miles south of you all my life).

gmarktho

Seaman

Many thanks for comments:

1) I was told that the water intrusion causing the loss of rpms and thus the replacement of the powerhead was being caused by the water spray from the boarding ladder;

2) Although the reviews do address this craft's operation in a lake we do not take the boat out in rough or choppy water. I have other boats that can we can use;

3) Based upon private messages from other '13 Funchaser owners they are as frustrated as I am;

4) I am optimist that Carolina Skiff (CS) will do the right thing for those that bought these boats because of the Carolina Skiff reputation;

5) There must be a problem with this line CS extension or they would have never transported all of these boats back to their plant in GA

(6) Legal grounds......federal Lemon Law....NJ does not have a boat lemon law but can use the federal law if necessary and I do hope it does not come to this action.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

so spray from the boarding ladder was getting inside the cowl and inside the power head? Not sure I see that. Was it getting in the air intake or back through the exhaust baffles?

I haven't looked in a while but Virginia (where he uses the boat) doesn't have a lemon law for anything except new cars. I thnk you r "federal lemon law" may be Moss-Magnason, and it will have its limitations, too. anyway, you are better off getting something straight with CS than going to court. For one thing, you can't sell the evidence!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Just a guess, but I think it is entirely plausible that a substantial amount of water or forced up and around the cowling of the engine at certain speeds. The way water is channeled between the "pontoons" and the engine pod creates a substantial flow of water that doesn't look to be very well controlled.

Look at the 4th picture in the gallery here: Pontoon Boat | Fiberglass Pontoon Boat | Fun Chaser pontoon boats by Carolina Skiff

gmarktho

Seaman

I would agree and IMHO is caused but the hull design.

Just a guess, but I think it is entirely plausible that a substantial amount of water or forced up and around the cowling of the engine at certain speeds. The way water is channeled between the "pontoons" and the engine pod creates a substantial flow of water that doesn't look to be very well controlled.

Look at the 4th picture in the gallery here: Pontoon Boat | Fiberglass Pontoon Boat | Fun Chaser pontoon boats by Carolina Skiff

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

That 4th picture does show a lot of water being forced up in the area of the cowling. I can see that being a problem.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

That 4th picture does show a lot of water being forced up in the area of the cowling. I can see that being a problem.

Did no one at CS not notice their PR pics? Or did they think it would go away? I've seen some strange things in 50 years of boating but that is a 1st.

gmarktho

Seaman

Many thanks for noticing the water being forced up into the cowling area. Did not notice.............................

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

wow. that's terrible, and 10x worse being in salt water. Now I agree, design defect.

funny they call it a pontoon when it's really a deck boat on a cat hull. Another marketing fail. I expect a lot better from CS.

gmarktho

Seaman

Home Cookin' ---- Me too

gmarktho

Seaman

Still awaiting some type of contact from Carolina Skiff....

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

The hull design looks like great artificial reef design. CS is expanding markets beyond skiffs which is great for the company and they have some success', this needs back to the drawing board

Slip Away

Lieutenant

These guys seem to have a slightly better cat on deck boat hull design.

SunStar107.jpg

gmarktho

Seaman

Another approach that Carolina Skiff could use: replace my Funchaser with another Carolina Skiff model of equal value......Sound like a good plan?????

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Another approach that Carolina Skiff could use: replace my Funchaser with another Carolina Skiff model of equal value......Sound like a good plan?????

Sounds like a good plan to me. The larger Ultra Elites look pretty nice.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I'd prefer my money back but that will not happen so your suggestion is 2nd best. No matter what they would say or did to the hull would make me want to own one of those. Now, you will not be able to have the hull style you wanted. Worst is, CS had to know.....

Status
Not open for further replies.