Wellcraft 250 sportsman help putting in marine head

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1989 250 sportsman. I've taken out the old plastic tray type toilet and would like to put in a marine pump or electric toilet. Having a hard time finding a place for the tank and how to do it on this boat. I've found plenty of 250 sportsmans with electric and pump types but no pictures of the tank or the location.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Wellcraft 250 sportsman help putting in marine head

Have you tried contacting Wellcraft directly? One possible alternative to (potentially) having to cut through the deck or cabin sole, might be this...

SeaLand 711-M28 toilet - Sealand

If it'll fit in the space it'd be a lot easier to install than a separate MSD and holding tank.

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a great idea. Thanks. I'll buy it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

also there's the porta potty style with a pump out kit... they can still be emptied at a pump out station but you can also install without the pump out kit and carry the tank out of the boat to dump like say in the chemical toilet or porta john at a boat ramp.

Thetford Porta Potti/Potty 365 MSD Marine Portable Toilet - $105...

Thetford Porta Potti Potty 550P Portable Toilet RV Camper - $111...

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=S5ToUpOjAsTrkAfhtYGYBw&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAg

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Smoke, I think the OP had a porta-pottie aboard and took it out. I'd caution anyone against installing a 'porta-pottie type MSD wth deck pumpout.' They suck. Had one on my 24' Chris Craft. 2.5 (or even 5) gallons capacity is nothing, and you have to empty at a pumpout station to boot.

The Sealand I linked to above holds 9 gallons. Still kinda marginal, but it's at least enough capacity for an overnight stay.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

While there is no denying that the head you linked is FAR superior I have a 2.5 gal pump out porta pottie in my wellcraft and I don't LOVE it but mainly because frankly it isn't as nice as a better head.
That said, when I stayed on my boat for a month I only had to pump twice

Btw I don't bother filling the toilet's fresh water tank... I use the hand held shower to supply flush water.

I wasn't aware that he was upgrading from that style tho.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I assume you stayed at a dock with 24-hour toilet facilities available. We do that too, but we're as likely to stay overnight on the hook. 2.5 gallons doesn't cut it in that scenario. I second the idea of flushing with fresh water via the handheld shower, as long as you can carry enough aboard. My boat carries nearly 40 gallons, but I doubt the OP's holds anywhere near that.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Nope only the head on board
You only need a couple ounces of water in the bowl.
Filling it like a home toilet is the only way I could imagine filling the tank overnight.