Got myself another Classic Glastron! Pics

JNormV163

Seaman
Well now that I'm restoring my 72 Glastron V163 I wanted to purchase another boat for the summer so I wouldn't have to be stuck on land. After months of looking I finally found a boat that met my price and criteria. I normally prefer outboards mainly because of their simplicity but I thought it was about time for an inboard. I have no idea what it is about Glastron but I just cant get enough of them. I try to get myself interested in another brand and yeah some I do like but nothing looks quite like a Glastron. The boat has spent its whole life in Colorado and seems to be very well taken care of. Boat is all original and for it being 35 years old its amazing the shape its in. The hull, deck, transom, stringers are all in pretty damn good shape. My main concern was finding a boat that maybe needed motor work but lake ready. This boat fit that criteria. Yeah the back to back seats need to be reupholstered and the hull could use a good buff but that's about it. Gel coat has a lot of hairline cracks but that's whatever. Its a 1978 Glastron SSV 177 with a I/O Mercruiser 165 hp which was an option in 1978. Came with a radio, CB radio, life jackets, anchor, fishfiner and some other little stuff. The guy I bought the motor from did not winterize it so now I'm looking for a new motor :( but that's ok because he was asking $1800 and I got it for $800 which i feel is fair. I would like to hear what you guys think! Thanks for lookin!

sorry the boat was not this messy when I bought it but the pics were taken when I was taking the motor out.

JNormV163

Seaman
Re: Got myself another Classic Glastron! Pics

Here is my other Glastron

This is where I stopped for the winter.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

These boats take me back to being a kid. My brother and I would sit on the docks for hours at whatever lake we were at and watch them come and go.
As kids we liked a lot of sparkle in the colors!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Very nice....... Ohhhhh with a CB radio too! Gotta keep an eye out for those speed traps!!! :D

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

These boats take me back to being a kid. My brother and I would sit on the docks for hours at whatever lake we were at and watch them come and go.
As kids we liked a lot of sparkle in the colors!

yep

JNormV163

Seaman

Here is a before and after photo of today's work with the buffer and some one step compound. It turned out great!

Alumarine

Captain

Looks nice. It will move along very well with the 165.

Chris N

Seaman Apprentice

Nice buff job. What product did you use?

JNormV163

Seaman

Nice buff job. What product did you use?

Meguiar's one step compound. Got it at bass pro for $28 (don't tell my wife) works great and its easy to use. I got a $40 electric buffing wheel from harbor freight and for the money I could not complain! Set it at about 2200 rpm with a wool pad and worked a small section at a time. Starting with the hull then working above the bump rails. Night and day compared to what it was before. Plus took pretty much all of the dock and boat rash off the hull. I have plans the next semi warm weekend to find a good polish, maybe Nufinish with a foam pad and go over her one more time. Only down fall is buffing the boat exposed many of the fine cracks in the paint from age. No regrets here though.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where do you think you will find a replacement motor? Are you going to put a used or reman motor in it?

I see why you like Glastrons. For a 1978, I think the hull design was very advanced.

Maclin

Admiral

Congrats!

Glastrons have always been my favorite, really neat boats. I finally got one myself this year, just picked up a 1980 SSV167 (16.2 foot Vee hull Outboard) with Mariner 90HP in very good condition. I am still feeling pretty good about the find, and looking forward to enjoying it.

Attachments

• 01515_WFb0s002qd_600x450.jpg
    01515_WFb0s002qd_600x450.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 00V0V_6BKOePfdTqk_600x450.jpg
    00V0V_6BKOePfdTqk_600x450.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140126_001.jpg
    WP_20140126_001.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140126_005.jpg
    WP_20140126_005.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140126_007.jpg
    WP_20140126_007.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Funny how boats are worse that dogs to just follow you home.

Maclin

Admiral

JNorm, do you hang out here in the Glastron forum? Or maybe GlastonOwners site?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7302.jpgfathers day and vacation 064resized.jpg102_6448.jpg102_0263.jpg103_6230.jpg

I myself have a couple of Glastrons of early 70s vintage. I used to have 3 but am now down to 2: A GT150 and V V153. The GT is under restoration--sort-of.

Glastron in those days was an advanced hull design and very "sexy" looking. They were light and fast.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral

Jnorm, looks like your latest one came with a ShoreLand'r tilt trailer? That is what mine is on.

Frank, very cool. They just look fast.

I think mine has a square pad at the rear like a bass boat sorta, can't wait to get it out and see how it performs.

southkogs

Staff member

Great lookin' boat Jnorm. Like most are saying the Glastrons are sharp boats with great styling. Used to be envy-green over a few on our lake when I was a kid.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

nice, I had a 1974 Glastron V156, used it for 1 year and sold it,,, was a trihull, was nice,, just to small for big lakes I'm in now... have fun with it, look great!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Howdy Neighbor! I too am from C/S...

That's a nice looking Glastron you got...I bet we see each other this summer at Pueblo Res? Too bad I no longer have the Baja...you could spot me a mile away! UUhhh...sparkles!

Ciao,

~Brett

P.S. that first pic is taken in Monument, CO with Mt. Herman in the back ground? Funny, I got my CC just about 1/2 mile North of that spot...In the RV storage West of I-25, South of Monument hill!

Last edited:

JNormV163

Seaman

Where do you think you will find a replacement motor? Are you going to put a used or reman motor in it?

I see why you like Glastrons. For a 1978, I think the hull design was very advanced.

Just used. They are hard to find. I found a motor in Michigan where I'm from and its in awesome shape but idk how to get it here!