Drain for shower

cheryl143dave

Recruit
I own a 1999 Bayliner Ciera. Can anybody give me some tips on what to check for with drain. When I shower I hear pump running for drain, but the water remains. How to fix???

agallant80

Commander
Re: Drain for shower

Your shower drain should have a hose going to a box with a bilge pump in it. The water is supposed to be contained in that box and pumpped over. If the pump is not working then the water will backup in to the shower or if the seal on the box does not work then the water may overflow in to the bildge. There should be a hatch on the floor or under one of the stairs where you can access this. It may be under the mattress or cubby in the mid cabbin. Just look for hatches on the floor and pull them up. When you see it you can't miss it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

our 89 34' Bay had the pump behind a panel under the sink. Same issue of leaving water int he pan with the pump running - it had a foam filter cover over the water intake that was covered with hair and 'stuff'. Pulled off, rinsed, back on and worked for the next 5 years until I sold it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

oh and mine did not have a 'bilge' pump but a different kind that pulled water from the pan - the pump was higher than the pan. Not sure what kind/name it was.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Look for an access hatch in the cabin sole (floor) outside the head. As mentioned, the shower sump is usually a plastic box. Hose runs into it from the shower drain, and inside the box is a bilge pump and float switch. The 'out' hose of the pump shoots the water out of the boat. If the pump runs, that means water is entering the box and tripping the float switch.

Now, in my boat, the shower drain is at the wrong end of the head compartment. I'll end up with 1/4" of standing water unless I squeegee it into the drain so it'll flow to the sump. Is that your issue?

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

is the pump on a switch? That will probably tell you if it is a bilge or a sump. mine was on a switch.

Thalasso

Commander

I own a 1999 Bayliner Ciera. Can anybody give me some tips on what to check for with drain. When I shower I hear pump running for drain, but the water remains. How to fix???

Go up top to boat parts and accessories and type shower sump in the search box. This is a picture of what you should be looking for.It will be in the bilge somewhere. It has bilge pump wired to an automatic switch when the water level reaches a certain point it turns on the pump.If you here something running and the water isn't going out, my guess would be the pump is running but not extracting any water.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Now, in my boat, the shower drain is at the wrong end of the head compartment. I'll end up with 1/4" of standing water unless I squeegee it into the drain so it'll flow to the sump. Is that your issue?

I have an issue where it won't even kick the pump on, the drains are just at the wrong height and there isn't enough flow to get it to the box. I can get over a half inch of water in my shower. I keep a plunger in there and part way though a shower I just plunge the drain, which starts a siphon and the pump will take out all the water at that point. I have a "hill" in there somewhere...

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

oh and mine did not have a 'bilge' pump but a different kind that pulled water from the pan - the pump was higher than the pan. Not sure what kind/name it was.

Probably looked something like this?

water_pump.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

no that would be the fresh water pump, but that too had stuff in it when we bought it. I'll go look and see if I can find a pic.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

20 pages of google with a couple diffferent search term couldn't find it. It had an arm that was the pump 'lever' Hard to describe and only looked at it the one time 6 years ago.

That said - his is 10 years newer than mine so he probably has the pan:

776757%3D37138-JHN57151.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

either way there is no use in us guessing... he needs to do some investigating and report back, then we can help more

FWIW my 89 wellcraft has a pump with no box operated by a rocker switch.... they are ALL bilge pumps.... the one pictured in the box is a 'submersible' bilge pump.
My pump looks similar to the 'water supply pump" pictured above by tazrig but is a bilge pump.
If you want to see other styles of those google "self priming bilge pump"

I had the same problem as the O/P and my issue was a slightly too short, kinked, suction hose AND a button from someone's shorts stuck in the drain.... my drain was corroded and the plastic hose adapter crushed trying to remove it soooooo I bought a new drain at home depot, got another hose adapter from my parts boat and installed it all with a new 1' longer suction hose.... my 25 year old pump now works like brand new

UncleWillie

Captain

Also keep in mind that the discharge of Grey Water (Sink and Shower Water) may not be Legal in many inland lakes and rivers. Pumping a bunch of Shampoo Rinse water overboard may be frowned upon in the Marina.

Check your local regulations.

Black Water (Human Waste) discharge is never legal until you are at least 3 miles offshore, and even that is not legal in some locations.