Is there a good website to purchase rope/line?

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the process of buying a Tahoe Q6 21', and wanting to buy some 1/2" double braid nylon rope for docking. I was going to splice the eye on one end myself.

Would like to have 6 anywhere from 10-15'. (4 for the dock when I go on vacation, and the other 2 will always be on the boat when stopping at other docks)

Looking to see if anyone knows a good place to purchase line by the foot online (roughly 100 feet), or if buying the dock line's pre-made are about the same cost, with out the hassle.

Thanks
Lonnie

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is there a good website to purchase rope/line?

That kind of line routinely goes on sale at West Marine. I find even the sale price is high for line. Probably end up costing you about $100 for the six 15 foot dock lines you want.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Try Ebay. Bought 6 dock lines there last year at the lowest price I could find anywhere.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'm in the process of buying a Tahoe Q6 21', and wanting to buy some 1/2" double braid nylon rope for docking. I was going to splice the eye on one end myself.

Would like to have 6 anywhere from 10-15'. (4 for the dock when I go on vacation, and the other 2 will always be on the boat when stopping at other docks)

Looking to see if anyone knows a good place to purchase line by the foot online (roughly 100 feet), or if buying the dock line's pre-made are about the same cost, with out the hassle.
Thanks
Lonnie

Cheap lines usually have such a soft 'lay' that they're hard to splice. The stuff just unravels when you try to work it. They also fray like crazy. New England Ropes makes the best stuff... New England Ropes - Marine Choice

I think you can cut cost and effort by buying 3/8" three-strand rope. Lots easier to splice than braided, and 1/2" is way overkill for the size and weight of your boat. I use 1/2" on mine (8500+ lbs. loaded), including the anchor rode. 1/2" diameter won't even work well unless the boat has 8" cleats.

My .02

Last edited:

etracer68

Ensign

I would have at least two lines as long as the boat, and 3/8 should do the job fine.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I think you can cut cost and effort by buying 3/8" three-strand rope. Lots easier to splice than braided, and 1/2" is way overkill for the size and weight of your boat. I use 1/2" on mine (8500+ lbs. loaded), including the anchor rode. 1/2" diameter won't even work well unless the boat has 8" cleats.

+100 I had 1/2" line on my old 21' Rinker. It was definitely overkill and difficult to use with the stock cleats. I also agree with etracer68 that you should have at least 2 lines that are at least the length of the boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Actually, 3/8 line is plenty strong, but 1/2 double braid is much better due to it's resistance to chafing.

When you have a boat tied to a dock, the number one enemy after storms that swamp the boat, is chafing. With the rocking that takes place even on calm days, a line can wear thru pretty quick.

Heck, I once use a galvanized iron hook on a line as a bowline to the front SS eye of my boat. After a storm, the iron hook was worn down such that it broke when I pulled the boat in to inspect it.

I now use 5/8" for the bowline and rear spring lines, for my 21 footer. 1/2" line for the rest of the docklines. I recommend chafing gear , as well.

GHBAY

Seaman

in Canada i just used onlineropestore.com pretty happy with the prices and i received it in 3 days

3/8", 15' for $10.89

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Actually, 3/8 line is plenty strong, but 1/2 double braid is much better due to it's resistance to chafing.

When you have a boat tied to a dock, the number one enemy after storms that swamp the boat, is chafing. With the rocking that takes place even on calm days, a line can wear thru pretty quick.

Heck, I once use a galvanized iron hook on a line as a bowline to the front SS eye of my boat. After a storm, the iron hook was worn down such that it broke when I pulled the boat in to inspect it.

I now use 5/8" for the bowline and rear spring lines, for my 21 footer. 1/2" line for the rest of the docklines. I recommend chafing gear , as well.

Chris, if the lines 'chafe' you need to reposition things or add chafing gear, not switch to braided lines. If all you use the lines for is tying up at the end of the day, then yeah, you can use 1" if it'll work for ya.

I boat on the coast. High winds, big chop, storm surges and all the rest. I use 1/2" dock lines, 1/2" anchor rode, and keep 1/2" lines aboard for transient use at marinas and raft-ups. My boat stayed in the water during both Hurricane Irene and Storm Sandy. My boat weighs over twice as much as the OP's, and not a single fellow boater with an under-30' boat uses bigger lines than I do.

Line that's too big for the deck cleats is a PITA to use. You can't get enough turns on the cleat to hold the boat properly, and good luck if you're trying to hang a fender from the same cleat. It'll also jam up on you when you try to release it in a hurry. Too much is as bad as too little, and you won't find a single source anywhere that would flag good 3/8" line as 'inadequate' for a boat that size.

My.02

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

John, I am exposed to the NE wind and their accompanying 3-4' waves, that sweep across the bay. Storms can last for days. A 35MPH wind is common at my dock. I use chafing gear, oversize mooring whips and oversize lines. I also use eye splices on the cleats, which allows the larger lines to work well. During one storm the rear cleat was bent from the strain.

One can certainly use any size line they want. However, one needs to take the elements into consideration. Heck, 1/4" line will hold, on a sunny calm day.....

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also agree with etracer68 that you should have at least 2 lines that are at least the length of the boat.

I have seen that reading through other threads as well. Why do you suggest have 2 the length of the boat?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Chris, I have essentially the same conditions you have. The OP lives in St. Louis, MO.

It's certainly your prerogative to use the thickest lines you want... but to insist that good quality 3/8" line isn't strong enough for a 3000 lb. boat just doesn't make any sense to me. My last word on the subject. We can agree to disagree.

Is it Spring yet?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I have seen that reading through other threads as well. Why do you suggest have 2 the length of the boat?

It's about having enough variety aboard to meet most conditions. I keep (4) 15'ers aboard for securing bow and stern, and a pair of 30'ers (in this example, the length of the boat) to use as spring lines when needed.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

John, I actually said 3/8" line is plenty strong. I simply recommended 1/2" line for the added chafing resistance. I do not know what if any rough weather the OP has in his area, but if you are going to leave a boat in the water, you need to prepare for possibly rough conditions. It was simply a suggestion....

etracer68

Ensign

If you want to have both the bow line and stern line in hand, and get out of the boat at the stern, or bow, you will have control of both the bow and stern. Also if you have a mid ship cleat, you can spring line tie the boat with the same line.