Darn Horn Again !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

InVision

Cadet
Ok I have replaced the horn on my 2003 Searay every year now for 4 years. It came from Searay with a dual horn oval ~6" x 3". It sounds like a buzzer, you know the ones. Well doing winter maintenance and decided to ask a question. What is the BEST horn to replace the original horn. I want a real sounding horn. Not afraid to do a little modifying of the hole if needed. The original horn is a Searay #1413475. I believe the Aqua Signal Series 84201-1 fits and the Aqua Signal 84400-1 would fit with a little cutting of the area between the existing holes.

Look forward to any advice here !!

Thanks,

Mikehorn.JPG

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Darn Horn Again !!

my first question would be did you look into what is causing them to fail?

I know plenty of searay owners and none have ever had to replace the horn to my knowledge

However if you are set on replacing the horn. Modify the existing horn as a grate and simply mount a new horn under the gunwale. you probably have to stand upside down with your head under the bow cushion stowage.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you want a better horn, just extend the wire and mount a dual trumpet above deck. If you want a "real" horn make that an air trumpet.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same horn…..it sounds just like the "National Weather Service" storm warning buzz that you hear on the radio from time to time...

InVision

Cadet

First thanks to all that responded. Great to find such a place just for the boat life...

The horn sounds like the national weather warning but maybe not so loud. :grumpy: I would love to put an external loud air horn on but it would just get in the way. This is our fun boat, skiing, water boarding, rafting up, fishing, etc...

As you can see by photo the horn is facing up and away. It does collect water from rain and washing. I believe that is what is killing them. If they would have designed a horn which drains water but tucks the elements up and away from drain. Anyway thats my problem.

Mike

horn1.jpg

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think some of the new horns make a different kind of noise, like a super loud buzz.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Not sure about the horn(s) you're having troubles with, but most "buzzer" type horns usually have an adjustment and can be changed by loosening the lock nut and adjusting the screw in or out a little thereby changing the sound quite a bit. I have taken standard car horns and can make them sound like a little beetle buzzer and also a serious truck sound just by adjusting it. Not sure you can adjust yours, but just saying. And IF your horns are quitting and not making any sound, you need to measure the wires to see if they are open. It could be that you could readjust the horn to make it work again if they still have a resistant value reading the wires. If the wires are open, something is taking them out and you need to find out what! JMHO!

alldodge

Staff member

First thanks to all that responded. Great to find such a place just for the boat life...

The horn sounds like the national weather warning but maybe not so loud. :grumpy: I would love to put an external loud air horn on but it would just get in the way. This is our fun boat, skiing, water boarding, rafting up, fishing, etc...

As you can see by photo the horn is facing up and away. It does collect water from rain and washing. I believe that is what is killing them. If they would have designed a horn which drains water but tucks the elements up and away from drain. Anyway thats my problem.

Mike

View attachment 222010

Just a thought, but wonder what would happen to the sound if you wrapped a layer of cellophane over it. The cellophane wouldn't last, but if it was still loud enough maybe get something else to cover it later.

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[The horn sounds like the national weather warning but maybe not so loud. I would love to put an external loud air horn on but it would just get in the way. This is our fun boat, skiing, water boarding, rafting up, fishing, etc...]s

I was fairly certain the US Government deemed water boarding cruel and unusual punishment and stopped the practice??

Thalasso

Commander

You just gotta love those Sea-Ray horns. Had a 2004 dancer and i was embarrassed to blow the horn.I thought they had to be audible from a certain distance? don't think they fill the bill

Last edited:

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replaced my original horn with an air trumpet! now that is a real horn! Harbour freight sells them I'm sure.

alldodge

Staff member

Another thought and this is more drastic, but it will work. Many larger boats use the same horn as you and they have no issue, but theirs are mounted under the rub rail. If you moved the horn below where it is now to under the rub rail. Would need to cut another hole and repair the old one.

I know I need to quit thinking so much, it hurts the team.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Take it apart and see what the root cause of failure is. Then, address that.

InVision

Cadet

When I took the first one off. Took it over to the workbench and water drizzled out of it. I was pretty sure it was the cause. These things are totally sealed plastic with 2 sets of 3 slot type water catching holes. I was able to pound this one on the bench and it started working. I may try drilling 2 drain holes and see if it still works. I am also going to see about having the fabric shop add portion to the cover and add two snaps so the horn is covered.

Mike

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.