1970's Livingston Boat Restoration. Floatation and deck design - HELP

Martysmarty

Recruit
Hello. I am new to this forum and I need some help with this boat project that is becoming a time machine, or should I say a time eating machine. My 1975 'ish Livingston catamaran has been sitting in my yard for 10 years and I finally built a shop and started to restore her. I started by scraping and sanding the hull(s) of anti fouling paint, marine paint, gelcoat, bondo and some sort of epoxy filler. I reglassed any thin spots and primed and used a marine enamel, wet sanding between brushing and rolling the paint. I finally finished and turned the boat right side up to begin the topside. I removed the weak thin floor(s) and also cut out the back seat cavities and removed all the waterlogged flotation. Now I am ready to add floatation foam,fiberglass in storage boxes, seats, reinforce and strengthen the transom and make this boat into a useful boat for many years to come. I need help with the next few steps, mostly the flotation and drainage. If you have some experience with flotation especially with these older Livingston's I would really appreciate some help. I have some ideas but I want to make sure I know what I am doing. I want to level off the floor with foam, running plastic piping in the keel channels to have a very sturdy floor. Thanks

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 1970's Livingston Boat Restoration. Floatation and deck design - HELP

Welcome to iBoats . . . Pictures would help us see what you are seeing. You can upload them directly or just put the image link in the posts with the picture icon on the thread 'icons', if you have the pictures already loaded to the web.

Anyway, the most common foam used is the 2-part urethane foam. 2 lb/cubic foot or 4 lb/cubic foot is used as flotation. 4 - 8 lb/cu. ft. is used for more structural support.