Anyone buy saltwater boat. fo lake

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a boat that was only used in saltwater. It is only a 2008 model but man did it look a lot older. I have been working on it for 3 months. Interior was faded and shot. All the snaps were coroded as well as the swim platform braces. I had a new interior put in and replaced the snaps. I ordered new braces and tore the outdrive apart to clean. It is a Caravelle Interceptor so no wood to worry about. Starting to look new but man was it a mess. Anyone else do this.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anyone buy saltwater boat. fo lake

Well we are in salt water so all the boats will look like that unless they are carefully maintained. Or, better to buy a boat more built for salt water (fishing style boat). I did all that to mine but it was much older when we bought it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I bought a 28' project boat that had seen some salt (in my sig) a 28' parts boat that has seen a lot of salt and a second 28' parts boat that has seen moderate salt.... it is VERY clear to me that none of those were what I would call "saltwater boats" though because they were I/O's.....

I know first hand though what you are talking about... it's AMAZING the damage that salt can do in sometimes the most obscure places....

Boats that are actually built for the salt fair better

I'd say though that your faded interior had nothing to do with the salt and everything to do with owners who didn't give a crap about their boat

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 2008 boat that has only been used in salt with 350 hours on the motor. She looks as good as the day she came off the line minus a couple small brushes with the dock. She is stored on a dry stack inside when not in use. Waxed at least once a year..... it is how they are taken care of. The boat OP bought was not taken care of, not the boat but the PO.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It's too bad they make boats with substandard fittings that can't handle salt water--but as long as people buy them....The base line quality for everything on the boat and motor should be marine quality, no matter where it ends up. Everything should be exterior grade as well and not require indoor storage or constant covering--in other words, made for outdoor use around the water. It's a boat, duh, not a piano.

A 5 year old boat that is falling apart no matter how it was kept was junk to begin with (barring abuse such as letting it fill with water on the trailer, stay sunk at the dock, kept under a mulberry tree, etc.) Now you have another brand to add to your list of boats to avoid.

Lou comments that "Well we are in salt water so all the boats will look like that unless they are carefully maintained" but if so, he is referring to boats that are not made for outdoor use, too. The flaw in his statement is the word "all" unless he means "lake boat" for "boat". I'm in salt water and a 2008 boat left outside uncovered is no problem--as long as it starts as a boat made with marine quality.

Now it may be that certain local conditions, such as hot desert sun, will crackle any quality feature if left exposed fo 5 years. If so, avoid those features in that area, or live with frequent replacement or extra time and money to fight it--not worth in IMO.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

In deference to Captain John, it isn't just the way they're treated. I agree with what HC said.

I'm slowly refurbng a 16' Sylvan aluminum fish 'n ski to tow to Florida and use in the St. Lucie river when I travel there. In no way, shape or form, is the Sylvan equivalent to a 'salt water' boat. It's made for calm, fresh water lakes, from the quality of the deck hardware to the way it's put together. If you've owned a coastal boat the shortcuts are obvious.

My .02

Last edited:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just bought my Steiger which was a Commercially used salt water boat. It will now be 100% fresh water leisure boat. I do see the effects on fittings, outboard motor parts, etc. It's been maintained fairly well, but it the salt life sure seems like a rough one!

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No doubt some of the issues with my boat was due to the previous owner. I bought it in Toms River New Jersey from a marina. The marina assured me the boat was in very good condition for a 5 year old boat. I drove 16 hours from Tennessee to get the boat and it was rougher than expected. I got the boat at a good enough price to warrant the purchase. When I spoke to the guy at the marina he said that was better than average condition for boats in the area since the saltwater was hard on boats. I believe he was telling the truth. The stainless prop on boat is actually discolored due to the saltwater. I don't think the boat is the problem but it was owner/saltwater issue. We live around a lot of boat manufacturers, Sea Ray, Malibu, Bryant, Norris Craft and others and that is the types of boats used around here. Never seen a Center Console or ocean type boat being used around here.

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Post pics, but I'd be willing to bet that lack of owner maintenance is a big problem, Vinyl doesn't fade unless it is left in the sunlight, and in my opinion any boat not in use should be covered therefore negating the sunlight issue.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

my boat is a freshwater boat, the PO used it in salt. The bottom is painted for saltwater, but the chrome plated fixtures are pitted, if it where built for salt, I believe they would be stainless, and not pitted:noidea:

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The biggest issue I think the saltwater caused is corrosion. The swim platform braces and other close to the water stainless looked tarnished. I replaced all of it. All the topside stainless looks new.

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do think the interior issue was neglect.

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat is bottom painted also and I hate it. I am slowly removing it but it is a PAIN.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

In deference to Captain John, it isn't just the way they're treated. I agree with what HC said.
My .02

Any boat is only as good as the builder made it. My boat is an EdgeWater, far from inexpensive but built to last and look good WITH proper care. Some builders think plastic through hull fittings are fine. EW uses stainless steel on them and other places like the bow railing instead of aluminum. Never bottom painted any of my boats and have the bottom cleaned at least annually even though kept out of the water when not in use. It takes a combination of a well built boat and taking care of it. No boat will last if not taken care of. Granted, not everyone is willing to or able to pay a premium price for a boat. Everyone needs to keep on top of maintenance constantly.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Even if the boat is a salt water boat (ie, center console, dual console, walk around) if the boat is kept on a rotating mooring like most are here, it will get beat by the salt. I see it all the time. There is a huge difference between trailering or dry stacking a boat and keeping it on a mooring or in a slip. Yes the lake style boats like my old '88 FW suffer the most, but since I've gone through the whole thing at this point all the cheap stuff has been replaced with better quality. Believe it or not the engine (raw water cooled in salt at least 12 years, before that it was in the Midwest fresh water) is original and still fine. Outdrive and transom mount too. Manifolds been changed 2x, starter 2x, circ pump 1x. Bellows 1x, gimble 1x. Not too bad.